The Sewing Place

B6285

Ravingdoll

B6285
« on: June 07, 2018, 22:22:58 PM »
Am I being particularly dense here?  I am making view B (in an amazing emerald colour if anyone is interested!) but no way is view B showing a long sleeved top.  The layout for view A is for a  sleeveless top.  There are no pattern pieces for a long sleeved top.  There are cut lines to make it longer but surely when they show versions it is because the pattern pieces are already there, you don’t have to adapt them?  The lines drawings for A and B also show a short and long sleeved top.  But the fabric requirements show 0.1 difference in requirements.  Confused ..  :(

Also now I look at it the illustration for View A shows a significantly longer tie than the photo for View B.  Having cut out the ties I would say that the ties in view A will indeed be that long.  Did Gertie model a top that Butterick decided not to print?  I know she doesn’t have any quality control over her Butterick patterns. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 22:26:11 PM by Ravingdoll »

Lizzy777

Re: B6285
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 07:47:33 AM »
I think, from what I can see on other peoples blogs who have made up this pattern, that the long sleeved top is indeed only two pattern pieces?

https://tipstitched.com/2017/03/21/wrap-top-butterick-6285/

Another blog says how short they found the bodice part, so they show how they have lengthened it?

http://bygumbygolly.com/2016/02/pattern-hack-lengthen-the-butterick-b6285-wrap-top-bodice/

There seem to be quite a few blogs written on this pattern and a sew along here with Gertie.(Not sure if you have seen it?)

http://www.blogforbettersewing.com/2015/11/
(there's 7 steps on here blog in the sew along)

Lovely top though  :)

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 08:41:42 AM »
It seems STUPID that you need to lengthen the sleeves to get the advertised look. :angry:

As for the extreme shortness of the bodice

all I can say is that everyone who has complained about this, must have an extremely long torso.  I am short-waisted, but I couldn't get into the size 6, which is my back length. :S

Ravingdoll

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 10:35:52 AM »
Thanks for those links @Lizzy777, interesting reading.  The Chief Executive at Quality Control assures me, having had a few flicks of the tape measure, that the sleeve is indeed long(er) and there is a cutting line for view A which I had missed.  It’s a strange pattern, I can’t get my head around it at the moment but hopefully when it comes together .......
I am not too worried about the length as I do wear wrap around tops as cardigans, and will have a matching tee shirt on underneath as I have found with this style they always ride up anyway. 
Another strange thing is that I have two pieces for the tie, piece 2, both exactly the same and both with instructions to cut four of each.  Now I know sometimes pieces are replicated for different sizes but is not the case here. 
Well I shall have to finish this one now for no other reason than to assauge my curiosity about how it will look! 

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 10:40:44 AM »
Watching with interest RD.  I think I still have a couple of these wraps in the wardrobe - I remember a very fetching one in navy with white spots.....

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lizzy777

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 12:57:49 PM »
Thanks for those links @Lizzy777, interesting reading.
The Chief Executive at Quality Control assures me, having had a few flicks of the tape measure, that the sleeve is indeed long(er) and there is a cutting line for view A which I had missed.  It’s a strange pattern, I can’t get my head around it at the moment but hopefully when it comes together .......
I am not too worried about the length as I do wear wrap around tops as cardigans, and will have a matching tee shirt on underneath as I have found with this style they always ride up anyway. 
Another strange thing is that I have two pieces for the tie, piece 2, both exactly the same and both with instructions to cut four of each.  Now I know sometimes pieces are replicated for different sizes but is not the case here. 
Well I shall have to finish this one now for no other reason than to assauge my curiosity about how it will look!

Yvw. Yes, it helps to read it I think. And yes the pattern is strange to look at first. I think as long as the fabric you choose has the required stretch in it (as per the info on the pattern envelope). Then it should come together fine. The reason it says to cut four pieces of each tie , is because it is a lined wrap over. If you self line with the same fabric then it just means the tie's will be the same weight as the bodice, or if you decide to use a different lining then it will match in as well.

If you look at the 'By Gum, By Golly blog (link in my first post) and scroll down, the second picture shows one of the bodice pattern pieces.  Both bodice pattern pieces are half front and half back and then joined together in the middle back for one piece etc.  Maybe try pinning the bodice paper pattern together so you can visualise it better before cutting out?

I started this reply a bit ago but had to go out so finishing it now. Hope it reads ok?

lizzy
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 13:00:20 PM by Lizzy777 »

Ravingdoll

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 17:13:46 PM »
Thanks again @Lizzy777 it is kind of you to look at this.   I am a bit more comfortable with it now, all cut out and ready to sew together which I hope to do this weekend.   i’ll post the finished article (hopefully it not lying in the bin!!). 

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 21:25:09 PM »
I'd be interested to see the finished article.  It wouldn't work for my biggish chest as the wrap over is too high.

Lizzy777

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 05:19:55 AM »
Thanks again @Lizzy777 it is kind of you to look at this.   I am a bit more comfortable with it now, all cut out and ready to sew together which I hope to do this weekend.   i’ll post the finished article (hopefully it not lying in the bin!!).

Thank you. Looking forward to seeing it in the lovely emerald green colour.  I'm sure it will turn out well  :)

It is an unusual pattern.

lizzy

Ravingdoll

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 22:10:16 PM »
It’s not finished, nor will it be for a few days now as I have to go to Bristol tomorrow for a training course (or Brizzle as we call it here!) but it is going to be good!  Fit is fine and I love the colour.   

It is a strange pattern, but once I followed the instructions it came together well.  It seems to fit reasonably well at my natural waist.  Definitely duplication of the waist ties though.  I have two left over!  I will make this again.  I’ve never done a self lining one before but I am happy with it.   

Lizzy777

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 23:08:58 PM »
Looking good @Ravingdoll. I like your colour choice for the pattern too. 

It's difficult to make any further comment without seeing the layout and cutting instructions in full regarding the pieces and how many to cut?  Wish I had a copy myself to have a look at this one. Tried to see if anyone has put a copy of this on the internet anywhere but can't see one. 

But glad you managed to work though it all and well done on the top so far :) Look forward to seeing it again once it is finished off.

Hope you have a good training day tomorrow.

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 09:18:46 AM »
I love the colour @Ravingdoll, but we need to see you in it headless or not. 0_0