The Sewing Place

Dress to wear to my nieces wedding

Fabric Lover

Dress to wear to my nieces wedding
« on: June 08, 2018, 21:58:28 PM »
I have made Butterick 6094 to go to my niece’s wedding this month. It’s been a bit of an ordeal but I’m nearly there! Just the hem to do.

That’s not easy though. As it’s a very full skirt, how do I make sure the hem doesn’t end up being a wavy mess?
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Fabric Lover

Re: Dress to wear to my nieces wedding
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 22:45:13 PM »
I’m guessing I need to stabilise in some way but if I put fusible interfacing, will it stick out and be stiff? Or hand sewing but I’d be here till the day of the wedding I think

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 22:56:13 PM »
What fabric is it?  That can make a difference as to whethr or not you need to stabilise, but mostly I don't on the hems of full skirts.

Hang it for a day or so (on the dressform) to allow it to drop if it wants to, and then measure.  I do it from the waist seam down and stick pins parallel to the ground every couple of inches.  It takes a while to do, but if the pins are close enough together it gives you the cutting line.  The more curved the hem the smaller the turning should be.  A full circle skirt only needs about 1cm at most;  any more and it will end up with pleats rather than being eased in.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Fabric Lover

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 23:03:00 PM »
Thanks for your reply Brenda. The fabric of the skirt is a satin type. I have had it on the dressform for about 2 or 3 days for exactly that reason, but also for me to build up courage to tackle the hem! A good idea to measure from the waist down - I hadn’t thought of that!

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 23:16:34 PM »
Take your time over it and allow the tape measure to hang in order to get eth true vertical each time.

The lengthways straight grain should be the direction which drops least.  Start with that so that you know the maximum length .

Once it's cut, overlock or machine overcast all the way around and then turn the hem up.  I would then probably blind hem by machine with most of the stitching going into the overlocking.  If you think that it needs a tiny bit of extra weight at the bottom cut 1/2 inch strips of a knit/stretch stabiliser and fuse that to the cut edge before overlocking.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Surest1tch

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 11:48:54 AM »
If that's a style you like to wear/make a lot it may be worth investing in one of these.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Prym-Plastic-Skirt-Hem-Marker-With-Base-each-611759/372260642556?epid=1350806556&hash=item56ac769efc:g:qTsAAOSwrjhaunfi
I got one many years ago and find it invaluable.

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 12:48:34 PM »
@Surest1tch: I came across an original Singer hem marker, complete with box, at a 'vintage day' in Greenwich market but decided it was a piece of kit that I really didn't need.

Missie

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 14:32:19 PM »
I do it from the waist seam down and stick pins parallel to the ground every couple of inches. 

Eek, I'd never be able to do that as due to my "curvy" derriere, the back skirt needs to be longer then front.  I'd measure from the floor up and make sure you are wearing the shoes you would be on the day.  You can chalk some string and pin across the doorway at the right height and turn slowly so that the string brushes against the skirt and it will be level all the way round.  Better still get someone to do it for you!

DementedFairy

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 15:48:00 PM »
Historically, they often hemmed those amazing, full, [sometimes trained] skirts by turning up a good wide [usually faced] hem, and adjusting the length at the waist before attaching the waistband
C'est moi!

Fabric Lover

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 18:45:03 PM »
Thanks to all for your replies. I started to measure from the waist down but I decided it wasn’t as easy as it sounded and went back to doing it by eye. I then turned the hem twice and blind hemmed it. This is slightly visible unfortunately now but my major worry which was a wavy hem has been avoided!

SkoutSews

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 22:49:02 PM »
That's lovely! I like the combination of the simple, boatneck front and the V-shaped back with the lapels. Nice use of fabrics, too.

Fabric Lover

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 07:51:45 AM »
Thanks very much SS!  <3

Samantha

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 11:06:15 AM »
Lovely dress! Ditto what SS said about the front and back.

Fabric Lover

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 17:22:14 PM »
Thank you Samantha!  <3

Fabric Lover

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 19:12:02 PM »
Added a stole / wrap to wear with the dress the night before we left home! Always on the last minute!  :S