The Sewing Place

Fireplace cover

fajita

Fireplace cover
« on: June 09, 2018, 12:35:57 PM »
When the fireplace is not being used, ie 360 days per year, we have a slice of hardboard covering the dark maw, keeps the draughts out and the dust down.
I'm making a little applique front for it.
It won't be anywhere near the fireplace when the fireplace has heat, so flammability is not a problem.
I'm making a peacock design from odds and sods in the stash. Paisley works well as feathers.
I'm having fun.

SkoutSews

Re: Fireplace cover
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 15:16:26 PM »
What a good idea! Looking forward to seeing the finished screen.

Surest1tch

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 17:20:54 PM »
What a great idea, I too am looking forward to seeing it finished.

Marniesews

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 00:18:12 AM »
I keep thinking of something like this ;) but it wasn't designed to keep the draughts out...yours will do that and be decorative too.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

fajita

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 00:47:30 AM »
Ha, not quite in the same league.  :D

fajita

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 13:34:37 PM »
That's it. All done.

Marniesews

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 13:46:32 PM »
Don't be too modest, I'm assuming your house isn't an 18th century French mansion? Yours is more utilitarian in purpose but the peacock theme is a classic and the moiré background works beautifully.  :D
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

SkoutSews

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 13:49:05 PM »
Lovely. I far prefer yours to the ornate antique.

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 14:03:37 PM »
That's gorgeous!  And I, too, much prefer it to the ornate French one.   :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Gernella

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 10:24:29 AM »
We had to have like a box put in  front of ours because I wanted an open flame fire, which turned out to be an expensive piece of garbage as most of the heat went outside and kept the cats warm (not usually ours).  When the fire was off the pipe let a gale blow through hence the boxed front and even  that occasionally blew out of place.

It's now been changed for one with a glassed front and we just have a nice fancy fire guard in front.  Seeing yours I wish I had got something different only DH made it and it was a bit utilitarian.   
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 15:10:04 PM »
That was quick!  Lovely work - far nicer than the horrid brass Peacock I used to have.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 11:23:18 AM »
I know what you mean about draughts, having lived in houses with open fireplaces and perpetually cold feet!  Have you considered one of these?

They'll keep the draughts at bay, but covering the aperture with something more attractive than fire-blackened bricks is definitely a good idea!