The Sewing Place

Mother of the Groom

Bodgeitandscarper

Mother of the Groom
« on: June 09, 2018, 20:23:28 PM »
Yes, my son has got engaged, yay  0_0
No idea when the wedding will be yet, although I'm guessing it won't be too long (and no, she isn't pregnant, poor thing has all sorts of "womens problems").
So, an outfit will be needed - I reckon it could be my favourite pattern Vogue 9112, but I will wait and see when it is before thinking about fabric.
Or I may just go and buy something...

Tamnymore

Re: Mother of the Groom
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 20:26:03 PM »
Congratulations @Bodgeitandscarper . That's lovely news. Yes you will have to start planning your outfit. And a hat????  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

fajita

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 20:34:14 PM »
Congrats, @Bodgeitandscarper   .   :flower:

My daughter gets married next year in June. I need to prepare. Diets r us to start. Will think of clothes in the new year.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 20:46:42 PM »
Hats just don't suit me, so one thing less to think about  :)

crafter

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 23:42:16 PM »
Congrats.  Only a month to go for me.  I'm more excited than my own wedding!

maliw

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 10:46:21 AM »
Many congratulations @Bodgeitandscarper . DD's wedding was three weeks ago now, seems ages. I was going to make a dress and jacket but saw a dress and bought it. I made a jacket and then didn't wear it because the weather was so good. As for a hat, I didn't want to wear one (I don't suit them) and it was only a small wedding but DD insisted I wear something so I ended up with an exploding sparrow (fascinator). Take your time Bodge and look around, what you think you want may turn out to be something completely different - ask me how I know!!
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 14:15:01 PM »
The wedding is now nine weeks away, there's not a cat in hell's chance of me losing any weight before then, so I'd better sort a dress.

For comfort, I think I may go with that old faithful Vogue 9112, but in a fancy fabric.  I rather like the idea of a crinkle silk, but not sure if what I have in my mind is what that is, if you see what I mean!  And what colour?  The bridesmaids are in either pale blue or navy, so I'm not sure if I can have my favourite colour of blue.

Or I could buy something, but everything I look at has a waist.  I don't have one of those, not anything even vaguely resembling one of those.
And then the worst bit, feet!!  I don't suppose I can go in trainers can I?? 

Greybird

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 14:59:29 PM »
Or even turquoise.  My opinion would be no, you can't go in trainers - if only because you'd feel at a disadvantage when the mother of the bride wasn't in trainers ( ask what colour she's wearing by the way). If you do have to get shoes, get those first before choosing dress fabric - it's easier to get fabric to go with shoes than shoes to go with fabric.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 17:01:43 PM »
Thanks for the offer Fran, but I don't do hats  :)

Good idea bout the shoes Greybird, I'll try looking for those.

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 18:05:53 PM »
Congratulations to all.  I second what Greybird says about getting shoes first, but it's not a proper wedding outfit if you don't have something on your head, even if it is only an 'exploding sparrow'.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 18:45:30 PM »
I hate anything on my head but as 'the bride' I had to do something so I wove tiny flowers onto some wire and had my hairdresser weave/fasten/magic some real ones in too. (Gypsophila) They were hardly there at all but definitely there...if you know what I mean. The whole ensemble was held in place with about four clips so defo not a big thing.  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 21:25:56 PM »
Nope, still not doing hats  0_0

Nor shoes either, having spent most of the evening trawling the internet...  :(

Tamnymore

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 22:15:14 PM »
What sort of shoes are you looking for @Bodgeitandscarper ? If you aren't going for heels then there are brands that do comfortable but dressy shoes like Gabor or even Hotter.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Sheilago

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 22:32:14 PM »
I agree @Bodgeitandscarper . My daughter is getting married in July in her garden, followed by a local hotel and I have a pact with the groom’s mum that we’re not wearing hats! Maybe you should ask mother of the bride as she might be glad to enter a similar pact  :D, especially if it’s a smallish informal event.
I’ve bought a quite floaty summery dress, in navy and dusky pink which goes nicely with the navy bridesmaids and I also have a little bolero jacket to hide my arms |O. Shoes and handbag are bought too. I just got medium heeled sling-backs from Clarks which are pretty, but very comfy and the perfect colour of dusky pink. It’s important to feel good, but also comfortable in your outfit.

fajita

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 22:40:11 PM »
My daughter's getting married in June. She still hadn't shopped for a dress. Neither have I. Flour sacks R Us at this rate.