The Sewing Place

Mother of the Groom

wrenkins

Re: Mother of the Groom
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2019, 15:51:24 PM »
Definitely hardly a hat at all!  0_0 It's a long time since I've even seen anything that looked less like a hat in fact.
That first one is very smart.  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

sewingj

« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2019, 15:52:56 PM »
the first one - definitely!

As mother of the bride 2 years ago I was informed that I had to wear the largest hat - so I did go for quite a big one - then mother of the groom turned up in a ginormous one (fortunately I couldn`t care less about such things)

Sandra

« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2019, 15:53:22 PM »
I think I like the first one better too.

Sandra.
xxx

Elnnina

« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2019, 20:41:05 PM »
Bodgeitandscarper, before you do anything else to your jacket, do you happen to have a collection of jackets in your wardrobe that you could try on over your wedding outfit dress to see how they look or rather will any of them give you the look that pleases you.  If you do find something that is the right shape/style then perhaps you can then try and alter the cut out jacket pieces accordingly from the already cut out pieces - I am sure all is not lost though.

As for your accessory for your hair, I like both, possibly the flower on its own is the one I would go for.

Hope you can find a way of saving your jacket.

Ellabella

« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2019, 20:53:17 PM »
My vote is for No 1 too.

Lachica

« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2019, 20:58:05 PM »
The first one, definitely. As MOG you need a token hat. You can take it off at the reception. I also hate hats (&they hate me) but I had one made for my MOB outfit.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2019, 21:36:41 PM »
I thought the first one too.  One slight snag, my hair is very slippery (that's a good thing, right?), so the clip that fastens it on to the hair is just sliding out.  The clip on the flower is different and stays put much better.  I thought to swap them but second one is glued on and too short anyway for the first one, so I'm now on a hunt for a stickier clip!  Or maybe I could put some silicon sealant stuff on it...

The jacket will be rescued somehow, @Elnnina , I thought about trying different jackets but then realised I don't really have any apart from one that's a multi-piece Vogue that is not the look I want with a dress anyway.  I'm going to do lots of pinning of the jacket to see what looks best, and I may even iron it on hot to soften it up as well - yes, I've tried it on scraps, and it's nice, much softer, when washed too, but I'm not sure if it shrinks, so may try that again.  Anyway, it's being left for a few days as we're out tomorrow, then away to my son's on Sunday til Wednesday.

Greybird

« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2019, 22:25:52 PM »
Yes, I like the first one too. Mother of the groom calls for a lot more than just another wedding guest. You don't want to be "out-outfitted". You can always take it off after the ceremony.

Fiona M

« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2019, 08:22:55 AM »
Love the first hat/facinator, it really suits you.  I also had very slippery hair - before I lost most of it - I found fascinators fixed to a velour covered hairband worked best for me, as it kept them firmly clamped to my bonce for the required amount of time.

Sheilago

« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2019, 08:45:42 AM »
I’m still sticking to the no hat pact with MOG, but if you’ve got 2 you’d be prepared to wear I’d say wait until you can try them on with your outfit and then decide. Both look good.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2019, 16:28:16 PM »
The silk jacket is practically finished - never have I taken so long over one garment!  It didn't help that I had to re-style it after I'd made it  :o
I ended up reshaping the front, moving where the point came, shortening it, and then I had to try to cut facings with it all still sewn together.
It's all done now though, apart from a final dilemma - shoulder pads, should they go over or under the facings?  I've sewn the facing at the shoulder seam, them put the shoulder pad over the top, my reasoning that the edge of the pad won't show so much (and I'd already sewn the facings without thinking about the pads!).  But - that then leaves the pad all exposed..., so maybe I need to unpick my teensy tiny handstitches on the facings and put the pads underneath??  And yes, I probably should have made the back neck facing the same width as the front facings, or vice versa.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2019, 18:45:08 PM »
I unpicked and put the pads under the facings, and it's now finished, hurray. 

Acorn

« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2019, 20:19:19 PM »
Very nice!  And that button ties the dress and jacket together beautifully.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

SkoutSews

« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2019, 20:33:17 PM »
Success! Your adjustments to the jacket have been very worthwhile.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2019, 21:05:25 PM »
I have two more of those big buttons to replace some coconut shell buttons on the grey/silver sandals, pics tomorrow when I've done them  :)