The Sewing Place

Mother of the Groom

sewingj

Re: Mother of the Groom
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2019, 07:07:46 AM »
@fajita  my friend's daughter is getting married next month - the theme for the wedding is "favourites", which includes asking all guests to wear their favourite clothes. Father-of-the-bride will be wearing his walking trousers and fleece!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2019, 09:34:30 AM »
Shoes, I hate shoes! 
I've looked, and the odd pair I've found have been out of stock or not in my size (8).
It's probably sandals I'm after, although a peep toe sling back would be a possibility.  I don't/won't wear tights, so shoes are a no-no with my sweaty feet, and a fabric footbed is preferable to a plasticky one in a sandal.  I like espadrilles, but they need to be a bit dressy.  Oh, and no heels, I don't do heels!
I rather like (Don't click on the following link unless you're confident in your firewall and virus protection!! - Acorn) these, but it looks a dodgy website, and I'm probably not going to be wearing pink!
Any ideas of places to look??
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 15:51:01 PM by Acorn »

fajita

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2019, 10:11:55 AM »

Lowena

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2019, 10:15:46 AM »
I've never worn a hat either, not to weddings, christenings, funerals... anything.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2019, 11:41:42 AM »
Thanks, @fajita, but nothing at all there, apart from a pair of platform espadrilles.  I can't wear platforms or heels, as firstly I can't walk in them, and secondly I'm 5' 8" and t'Other Half is also 5' 8" (swears he's 5' 9", but he isn't!)  so I end of slouching and stooping next to him  :S

toileandtrouble

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2019, 13:03:31 PM »
Simply Be have a few different things and try https://www.yoursclothing.co.uk/wide-fit-shoes, they had some EEE black diamante ballerina pumps. If you want to go barelegged, there is a foot spray  that makes you feel like you have got socks on and saves the sticking/rubbing.  I think the can was pink.  Kiwi Silk Foot Spray, but there are others apparently, but I've used this one..
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Acorn

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2019, 13:17:04 PM »
I bought my posh* shoes from J D Williams.

I'm not sure whether you need a wide fitting, but these are the ones I have, and even though they have small heels, they don't feel as though they have.  They are incredibly comfortable.

Oh - and AVG told me off for going to the website you linked to, so don't order from them!  I do like those shoes though.

*And when I say 'posh' I really, really don't mean expensive!!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

wrenkins

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2019, 14:45:59 PM »
Bodge my lap top went off like a pinball machine when I hit that link.  :S
Those wedges are lovely @Acorn  :loveit:

Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Tamnymore

'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2019, 17:15:34 PM »
Thank you everybody for all your suggestions, I'm still checking them out  :)

These might do the job, I like the pattern and colours, but I bet they don't fit...

linky

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2019, 19:53:16 PM »
So, these and these ordered!  Not what I thought I'd like, but best of a bad bunch - and cheap, very cheap  :)

Surest1tch

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2019, 18:47:31 PM »
Nope, still not doing hats  0_0

Nor shoes either, having spent most of the evening trawling the internet...  :(

Good for you, I hate hats, hats hate me and if I had to go to a function that necessitated wearing one I wouldn't go
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 18:52:32 PM by Surest1tch »

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2019, 19:06:26 PM »
The shoes arrived and they are lovely.  BUT, they don't really fit me, the wide fit are far too wide, and they really, really don't suit my flat feet that roll inwards at the arches, so they are already on their way back.  I hate shoes, almost as much as hats!

Tamnymore

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2019, 19:25:55 PM »
Oh dear. I agree that too flat isn't very comfortable. I'm afraid you'll have to bite the bullet and visit a real life shoe shop.  :S
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Sewingforfun

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2019, 19:50:27 PM »
I wouldn't dismiss trainers out of hand. They are absolutely the latest thing, you hardly ever see shoes in London anymore, it's all trainers in lots of colours and styles, even with very smart outfits.

What about something like these? They channel both the both trend and the shiny/metallic trend? They'd look fab with that Vogue dress.
Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.