The Sewing Place

Mother of the Groom

Ploshkin

Re: Mother of the Groom
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2019, 15:23:00 PM »
What is it with patterns these days, they all seem to be made for American footballers.  I never used to have a problem and I'm sure my shoulders haven't shrunk.
Life's too short for ironing.

Elnnina

« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2019, 15:37:08 PM »
I like all three colours, however I think the lilac for the wedding would be best, and then later on you can always make more jackets in the different colourways if you want to widen the choices of wearing the pansy fabric.

Efemera

« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2019, 15:43:38 PM »
What about a Tilton jacket pattern?

justpottering

« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2019, 07:47:35 AM »
I’ve got narrow shoulders so I have to change all top patterns to fit
The easiest method I’ve found is to put a dart shaped alteration to the shoulder seams on the pattern pieces
Worth a try
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2019, 09:12:31 AM »
Having tried on a couple of jackets, I do have one pattern that fits quite nicely on the shoulders, so I will need to make a frankenpattern I think, shoulders/armholes/sleeveheads from that and the rest of the jacket from the new pattern.  I did also want to widen the neck so the dress collar sticks out of the jacket, but not sure how well that will then sit, should be ok I think.

Greybird

« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2019, 09:24:42 AM »
I also have narrow shoulders. I get round this by cutting one size to fit my shoulders and then grading out to a bigger size from the bottom of the armhole. I have to make sure the sleeve head fits before cutting.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2019, 16:27:57 PM »
I've done most of the jacket, side seams, shoulders, and sleeves in.  I don't like it!!  I no need to try to decide what to do about it.  The shoulders and sleeves are fine, and there is plenty of material in the body to re-shape it, but I can't decide how.  I think that a loose baggy jacket over a loose baggy frock over a loose baggy body is just too much  :'(

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2019, 21:33:15 PM »
Yes, I know what you mean about things being fitted, @Francesca, too baggy isn''t flattering.  I tend to go for fitted shoulders and through the bustline, then looser from below the bust.  This works well with the dress, but I guess the jacket just isn't fitted enough anywhere.  I was thinking about taking the side seams in a bit, and possibly some darts in the back.  I can't really make it too fitted as it has no bust darts, and I have of course done the seams on the overlocker, so I don't want to attempt to unpick them!

Tamnymore

« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2019, 21:48:18 PM »
I agree -fitting through the shoulders and bust is the key. Perhaps not the most obvious fashion icon but note the way that Angela Merkel's jackets always fit well at the shoulders then flare out a bit over the tum . Not that I'm suggesting you should channel the Merkel look at the wedding @Bodgeitandscarper !
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2019, 09:19:32 AM »
*goes off to google Angela*

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2019, 09:24:24 AM »
Yes, Angela Merkel is a look to avoid!  But I see what you mean!

I'm trying to decide how long the frock will be (it's a bit of a trade off of shorter looks funkier but longer covers more of my horribly fat legs, and I mean FAT), then I may pin the jacket up to a much shorter length and see how that looks, and maybe take the side seams in too.

Greybird

« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2019, 09:38:07 AM »
It depends whether or not funky is flattering. I would go for what looks best on you. My own feeling is that more of the dress showing from under the jacket would be better than less.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2019, 09:43:22 AM »
My own feeling is that more of the dress showing from under the jacket would be better than less.

I think that describes it exactly, I need to get the dress hemmed then look at the jacket again  :)

charlotte

« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2019, 09:52:25 AM »
Ooh yes, I was going to suggest shortening the jacket for a more cropped style.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2019, 15:43:28 PM »
You know I said I was NOT going to wear a hat??  Well I'm not but...