The Sewing Place

Mother of the Groom

Greybird

Re: Mother of the Groom
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2019, 13:35:00 PM »
And just think how proud of you he will be!!

Lowena

« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2019, 14:18:33 PM »
I'd always go for dark, plain colours and an understated 2 piece suit  style ( no hat, gloves or bag ) .... but......if you dare - go for it and blossom in the sunshine :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2019, 14:36:01 PM »
I've ordered the expensive textured one - but saved a few bob by also ordering the much cheaper shot lilac to use as the very big facings  0_0

Trouble now is, I've run up a very quick toile of the top half of the jacket and the fit is crap  :(
I just hate shoulder seams that hang right off your shoulders  :(

Dunno where to go from here, probably need to find one of my other patterns that fits better and use that as the shoulders and armholes and sleeve top I suppose.  I hate faffing around with patterns!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 15:42:43 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »

Ploshkin

« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2019, 15:23:00 PM »
What is it with patterns these days, they all seem to be made for American footballers.  I never used to have a problem and I'm sure my shoulders haven't shrunk.
Life's too short for ironing.

Elnnina

« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2019, 15:37:08 PM »
I like all three colours, however I think the lilac for the wedding would be best, and then later on you can always make more jackets in the different colourways if you want to widen the choices of wearing the pansy fabric.

Efemera

« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2019, 15:43:38 PM »
What about a Tilton jacket pattern?

justpottering

« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2019, 07:47:35 AM »
I’ve got narrow shoulders so I have to change all top patterns to fit
The easiest method I’ve found is to put a dart shaped alteration to the shoulder seams on the pattern pieces
Worth a try
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2019, 09:12:31 AM »
Having tried on a couple of jackets, I do have one pattern that fits quite nicely on the shoulders, so I will need to make a frankenpattern I think, shoulders/armholes/sleeveheads from that and the rest of the jacket from the new pattern.  I did also want to widen the neck so the dress collar sticks out of the jacket, but not sure how well that will then sit, should be ok I think.

Greybird

« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2019, 09:24:42 AM »
I also have narrow shoulders. I get round this by cutting one size to fit my shoulders and then grading out to a bigger size from the bottom of the armhole. I have to make sure the sleeve head fits before cutting.