The Sewing Place

Anyone made Burda 9388?

b15erk

Anyone made Burda 9388?
« on: June 11, 2018, 10:25:55 AM »
I started these some weeks ago, before the Amelia Teadress, and the Skirt and Top for Lilya, and have just found them again.

Burda 9388

I've only got the waistband to finish, and the hems, but it's like knitting fog, trying to understand the instructions...  Nothing on Pattern Review that I can see.  It looks like the elasticated waist comes around to the front, behind the eyelet piece, but the construction is defeating me.

I'm sure it's very simple, but atm, it is defeating me, and I really would like these trousers done.

Can anyone help?
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lizzy777

Re: Anyone made Burda 9388?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 10:52:38 AM »
I don't sew children clothes so I thought I would google but there don't really seem to be any reviews or blogs on this which does seem unusual. I did see this on the fold line though, and without seeing the paper instructions, I wondered if this paragraph would help at all?

"Pants/trousers in three lengths for girls and boys, super comfy thanks to a waistband of rib knit fabric and an elastic casing. The drawstring casing is just for show. Big patch pockets give views B und C a sporty touch".

https://thefoldline.com/patterns/burda-style-childrens-trousers-shorts-9388/

Can you take a picture of the instructions to look at if the above paragraph doesn't help?

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 10:56:18 AM »
Thanks Lizzy, glad it's not just me that can't find anything on this pattern....

From what I understand from the instructions, it looks as though the front of the waistband is unsecured.  Very odd construction....

I'll have to look again.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lizzy777

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 11:08:44 AM »
It does seem an odd construction if that is the case. Just difficult to comment on it without seeing the instructions in black and white. I'll google again  :)

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 11:17:38 AM »
Lizzie, I've just taken a pic of the relevant instructions, but internet is slow sending them to my PC.

Still looking odd...

Jessie

Lizzy777

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 11:32:46 AM »
Thanks jessie. I've looked around and no reviews, no blogs on it either. :'(

I expect you could always go on their facebook and ask there or message them on facebook? Just a thought. But lets have a look at the instructions first.

lizzy

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 13:11:38 PM »
Lizzy, I've finally got the picture off my phone.  It's not making any more sense now than it did earlier, the only place to anchor the wband to is the front bit where the eyelets go (or not).  There seems to be no way of attaching the curved bit.

Or am I being thick?  :)

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 14:05:37 PM »
Well, after a good coat of looking at, and scrambling the one or two brain cells which still work, the only conclusion I have come to, is that the front is topstitched to the waistband.  A bit odd, but there we are.

I will have a go later, with pics hopefully.

Jessie

StitchinTime

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 15:01:29 PM »
I had read the instructions, but then work got in the way before I could reply.

I reached the same conclusion about the front being topstitched to the top edge of the waistband as step 15 mentions of smoothing out the casing. However picture 15 is a bit confusing as it shows topstitching along the top edge, but also along one of the curved edges. I can't see how you could stitch the curved edges to the front part of the garment without affecting the gathering.

If there were a way to stitch the curved edges, I think this would then make inserting the cord through eyelets tricky.

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 15:04:04 PM »
Thanks SiT, it's not just me then!

I think I'm going to try sewing the curved bits before inserting the elastic.  What is missing, is a back view.  Maybe because it looks awful maybe....

No sorry Burda, just seen the back view (I blame my dodgy eyes!), it doesn't look very tidy.....

I may be making adjustments....

Jessie
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 15:06:30 PM by b15erk »

Lizzy777

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 16:23:04 PM »
jessie,

I just managed to get back on the forum now. Been busy on the phone this afternoon unfortunately.

Am looking at it now.

lizzy

Lizzy777

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 17:09:43 PM »
Well, after a good coat of looking at, and scrambling the one or two brain cells which still work, the only conclusion I have come to, is that the front is topstitched to the waistband.  A bit odd, but there we are.

I will have a go later, with pics hopefully.

Jessie

Yes, I agree with that. That is the design and the drawstring casing at the top is just for show. Not for any practical use. It's not going to be connected to the elastic in the casing. I think I would sew the curved edges after I have finished off the waistband elastic in the casing and attached the waistband.  As per the instructions. If you could slightly stretch the waistband widthways when you are swing on the curved edges then it may not look as bulky in that area when finished?

I noticed the boys pants look far tidier at the front than the girls pants and shorts. The back is just the view of the waistband attached to the pants isn't it?

Sorry if I am slow. My head is full of house renovations today, and everyone ringing me at the same time all afternoon. :(

lizzy
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 17:47:11 PM by Lizzy777 »

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 09:32:36 AM »
These trousers are now finished, but if they fit Theo, and if DD likes the style and wants more, the pattern will have to have some changes.

The fabric is a stretch denimy sort of thing with a few flaws in the fabric.  It was a free remnant, and was perfect for a wearable (?) toile.

Because of the difficulty following the instructions, the inside looks unfinished and untidy, and the elastic really doesn't need to go around the front of the trousers as well as the back.  The trousers are also waiting for the final topstitching around the curved front.

If I did them again, I would do the elasticated back separately.  Then the front could have faux pockets and a proper waistband.  I would also slim down the legs which look a little wide.

Thanks both Lizzie and SiT for your help, always good to have another pair of eyes on the problem!

Now, on to the next project!

Jessie

« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 10:17:41 AM by b15erk »

StitchinTime

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 10:13:48 AM »
They are very cute and well done for persevering. It does seem an odd way of doing things to get what is basically a mock pocket effect.

mammafairy

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2018, 19:21:04 PM »
I did a similar constructed dungaree for my son as a baby. , The elastic at the front needed to be left unstretched, and the bit that went over it was interfaced to give a good look. It was not the simplest to follow but worked well, and I made a couple from the same pattern.

Well done for working it out.