The Sewing Place

Hats?

Efemera

Re: Hats?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 20:15:31 PM »
I’ve looked everywhere.... I can get it from the US but it’s $24 with the added shipping, a bit much for a pattern.

sleepingwolf

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 20:35:13 PM »
Here's a warning to anyone who is thinking of making this hat! Beware, although the instructions state the seam allowance is 5/8ths, the pattern pieces DO NOT include the seam allowance.

I now have the makings of a very small hat  :angry: My head is small (56 cms), but the assembled hat crown sits up on top in very comical fashion. The most annoying thing is that it was looking good until I tried it on  :'(

I'm so sorry this pattern didn't work for you.  I didn't remember having problems with it though it was a few years ago now.  I hope you didn't ruin any precious fabric.

SkoutSews

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 21:00:20 PM »
Sorry, sorry, it's been my mistake  :o I had the 'fit to page' box ticked when I printed the pdf. What an idiot!  :fish: I've printed it off again with the correct (I hope) sizing this time.

The mini-hat was made from leftovers so the only wasted expense was my time. I'll complete it sometime and put it in a dressing up box for a future granddaughter. I'll have another go with my second choice leftovers when I have recovered from my stupidity. No-one to blame but myself - again!

Efemera

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2018, 20:58:00 PM »

renita

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2018, 09:58:55 AM »
I found a cute little bucket hat - most are for children, so it's great to find one in adult sizes.  It's free and can be found here.

The pattern is reversible, so you can wear it either side out.   I found the instructions pretty simple and the pattern was well-drafted - the curves fit together well. 

I used the small size for the crown pieces, even though I have a large head.  Perhaps I'm used to more firmly fitted hats...  I modified the brim piece to make it more flared - adding about 4 cms to the outside edge of the pattern piece (so about 16 cms added to the overall brim circumference).  I also added 2 cm to the width of the brim so I get better sun coverage. 

It doesn't suggest it in the pattern, but I interfaced every piece - I wanted something with a bit more structure, but the lining I selected was very lightweight. Having widened the brim, I didn't want it flopping in my eyes. I think it would work well without it, if you want something a bit more casual and stuck with the original brim.

Vezelay

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2018, 10:49:57 AM »
Another + for Renita's pattern (which is virtually the same as the Martha Stewart). And yes to interfacing. I have another one in the car for emergencies  :). The black one is for playing summer outdoor gigs with the concert band (dress code is black).

« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 11:36:15 AM by Vezelay »

wrenkins

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2018, 11:19:32 AM »
Love the black one's guitar fabric. Nice touch.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!