The Sewing Place

Uh-oh... 201 reasons why my wife will not be happy!

Mr Twingo

Uh-oh... 201 reasons why my wife will not be happy!
« on: June 12, 2018, 22:31:25 PM »
I couldn't help it, honest.

A Singer 201K on eBay caught my attention, and I placed a bid which happened to be the winning one: £33 + £10 postage. I don't think that's too bad for a 201. Quite how I'm going to explain it to my wife, I don't know.  :[

It needs a new power cable, but I plan to experiment with a DC motor rather than the supplied AC one.  I hope it's not in need of too much attention internally. A clean and an oiling is what I'm hoping for.

Roger

Re: Uh-oh... 201 reasons why my wife will not be happy!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 22:57:55 PM »
Congrats! That’s a nice price. Explaining a new (to me )machine is never easy...

I put a tutorial in the tutorials section that may help, I tend to enjoy a good grot hunt when it comes to an ancient machine...
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Bowerbird

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 23:18:21 PM »
I can see no reason why she would not be happy. You have a new toy distraction machine. It's relatively small, (ie not as big as a motor bike dismantled in the living room) and relatively cheap in the scheme of things. And doesn't involve gambling/drinking/other women. What's not to love???

Also Roger, is the tutorial on explaining random purchases to non-understanding spouses?   ;)

Roger

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 23:22:02 PM »
Sadly no... I haven’t found a good approach for that and tbh you would have thought I might have by now :)

It’s about cleaning machines I think... (edit) phew it actually is: https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,303.0.html

Not to say it’s the best but it’s the approach I use.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 23:24:18 PM by Roger »
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Mr Twingo

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 07:26:46 AM »
Thank you, Roger. I'll take a look at that right away.

My wife will be displeased because the recent purchase of my SMD 5018 was conditional on selling my other machines (Brother industrial [sold], Elna 340 [not sold]). So now, with the 201K, I still have the same number of sewing machines.

Goodness, what have I done?!

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 07:32:41 AM »
If I was you, I'd put a brownie point chart on the front of the fridge and start doing more chores!  :D
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Roger

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 07:59:11 AM »
It’s smaller than an industrial... quick make her something pretty on it... as long as I keep mending and promising to sell a few I stay out of the dog house :) (I have 1 or 2 more than you... and a couple more than my signature;). )

Samantha

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 10:18:01 AM »
Would she notice if you didn't tell her? Just say it was one of the ones you agreed to sell but it hasn't sold yet?!

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 10:40:47 AM »
They are lovely machines, I have a couple, and you won't be sorry you bought one.  Easy to work on too, I've managed to keep mine running all by myself - which is more than I can say for my Pfaff, or the Bernina.

Look forward to seeing pictures!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Mr Twingo

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 15:27:18 PM »
Would she notice if you didn't tell her? Just say it was one of the ones you agreed to sell but it hasn't sold yet?!

20 years of marriage means we know each other too well to keep secrets!

And I am making new curtains for our bedroom… she said she wanted a pair to match the bedclothes, and I did come up with a couple of acceptable ideas. And if I tell her it's for me to experiment on using different motors (which is true – I have a couple of DC motors I'd like to trial for sewing purposes)...

Roger

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 17:27:33 PM »
Sounds like a plan you might get away with that! Good luck!

Surest1tch

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 19:33:29 PM »
I knew before I even opened your thread exactly what you'd done

Marniesews

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 15:06:28 PM »
So now, with the 201K, I still have the same number of sewing machines.

Goodness, what have I done?!

I can tell you what you've done...you've not made it any worse, which (when you're a vintage machine fan) is really quite something! Give yourself the credit for that alone.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Mr Twingo

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 18:26:02 PM »
It may well arrive tomorrow, which would be great as I have the day off.

I shall give it a jolly good clean up, and then try out one of the DC motors I have lying around. It would be marvellous to be able to run it on 12-24V.