The Sewing Place

1940s Weekend dress

Francesca

1940s Weekend dress
« on: June 13, 2018, 12:25:23 PM »
I'm going to Ramsey 1940s Weekend in August as by chance my boyfriend's family are from Ramsey so we can stay nearby. Boyfriend has been many times before mainly helping out with menial tasks when he was an air force cadet.

So of course this means another project to add to my huge pile. They don't make 40s dresses in my size in case you hadn't noticed...

Still I stumbled upon this Jennifer Lauren dress pattern that I think will work for my shape and has a nice vintage flair. I'm not too worried about being incredibly historically accurate. I was planning on wearing brogues, but the only ones I have are a light cream leather. Do you think they'll work?

No idea on fabrics...

b15erk

Re: 1940s Weekend dress
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 12:38:28 PM »
That sounds lovely Fran.  I like your pattern.  I have the Amelia Teadress on the go, and that has a sort of 40's vibe, and very easy construction.

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ravingdoll

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 13:21:50 PM »
In my opinion (and as someone who has been to quite a few of these events) most day dresses these days providing they are not above the knee look kind of ‘vintage’ by default if they are worn appropriately, ie, seamed stockings, red lipstick, handbag, victory rolls, pearls, brooches etc. 

Alternatively how about a landgirl/Rosie Riverter look?  Dungarees with big turn ups and head scarf?   The ‘Cornish Pasty’ roll up of hair at the back?   

Or knee length skirt, long sleeved blouse and short sleeved cardigan?  Although I suppose maybe not on a hot August day?? 

Just some thoughts from me, but yes that dress also looks fab! 

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 14:01:53 PM »
I can remember my mother wearing similar dresses in the late 40s - and on into the 50s because she couldn't afford new ones. She would never have worn brogues with them though. She wore mid heels with them -  fairly thick but still shaped (not like today's block heels) and often with peep toes.

Francesca

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 15:21:51 PM »
I've seen a lot of lace up brogues in pictures, but yes with a small heel. However I just don't think I can do small heels being on my feet all day, so I thought brogues would still give "the look".

I really want to make this in black outer with a black and white gingham peek at the collar. Not sure if that's a particularly suitable colour for the time but I know that I would be more likely to wear it again than something more floral or brighter.

I'm thinking a wide brimmed straw hat, the style that sits really far back on the head though and with a stiff brim that sticks around like a halo  :angel:

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 16:28:54 PM »
@Francesca: Fashion on the ration, if you want a more authentic look.  Note the shoes.
What goes around comes around.

Francesca

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 17:06:50 PM »
Yep, that's exactly what I was imagining! Sadly the amazing wool suits would be too hot for August but I do love them!

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 17:09:11 PM »
For a summery dress a small print on cotton fabric is probably the most authentic 40s look; knee length with the skirt being more or less A-line (unless you are going for Dior's New Look from the late 1940s).  The pattern you suggest should be fine.

Re shoes; lace-up brogues or cross over, open toe sandals would be suitable.  A lot of women, especially the younger ones, wore ankle socks if they couldn't get stockings, and if they did have stockings they would have had a seam down the back.
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 18:21:28 PM »
This is a dress I saw recently at an air show and forgot to go back to look at, goes up to much bigger than you'd need!

UttaRetch

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 20:04:22 PM »
@BrendaP: I went to the 'Fashion on the ration' exhibition at the Imperial War Museum and was surprised just how colourful

was some of the clothing.
What goes around comes around.

Greybird

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 22:27:17 PM »
@UttaRetch I went to that exhibition too. The clothes weren't only colourful they were also ingenious with what was achieved. I went with my cousins and we could all remember our mothers (sisters) wearing similar clothes.

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 23:52:30 PM »
I went to the 'Fashion on the ration' exhibition at the Imperial War Museum and was surprised just how colourful was some of the clothing.

I guess that's because most of the photos we see from that era were B&W and  military uniforms were dark, plain colours.  Also we think of WW2 and the time immediately afterwards as being drab and dreary with a shortage of just about everything, but when you think about it a lot of clothes were re-made from existing pre-war items so there was no reason why they would not have been as colourful as in the 1930s.
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

Francesca

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 09:38:51 AM »
I do love the colours... I may be swayed. I'm trying to think about future wearability (I have a hard time with nice dresses that are nice enough for a fancy dinner without being too over the top). I definitely wouldn't wear a ditsy floral print again but maybe a polka dot... I really do love the idea of a gingham collar turned over though. Now thinking all red with a red or black gingham collar.