The Sewing Place

Blind Hemmer

Foxy

Blind Hemmer
« on: September 22, 2018, 14:50:03 PM »
My wife is an experienced sewer. She currently owns a Janome MC6600P sewing machine and a Janome 6234XL overlocker. She also has a vintage 100 year old Jones hand cranked machine, more for display than use although it does work perfectly. She makes many of her own dresses and does lots of alterations for friends.

She has a special birthday coming up in a few weeks and I've been searching around for a suitable sewing related present and after browsing a few websites was drawn to a portable Blind Hemmer machine. There seems to be a few different models available, but all look pretty identical so I suspect they are all rebadged version of the same machine.

I understand that the Janome is capable of doing blind hemming, so I'm seeking advice on whether or not it would be worth buying her on of these. Would I just be duplicating a function of the machine she owns, or is a dedicated BH machine a better option?

Would appreciate any advice anyone can give.

wrenkins

Re: Blind Hemmer
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 15:51:37 PM »
I've just recently posted a thread called 'do I need an overlocker' and as these threads tend to do it wandered a bit...like conversation. I gather from what was said that if you have a SM and an OL then the next thing to have is a coverstitcher. You can manage without but it is a nice luxury to have. I see no point in duplicating a function which is most likely on her SM with something that is just going to take up space and bring nothing new to the party.
Others may think otherwise.  :)
Welcome to the forum.  :drink:  :cake:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 15:58:02 PM »
Definitely a coverstitch... this one.

https://www.babylock.co.uk/sewing-machines/coverstitch

eclectic

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 18:10:58 PM »
Hi Foxy, what a wonderful idea! ... however in answer to your question I can do a perfect blind hem stitch on my sewing machine and on my overlocker, so I personally agree that you may be duplicating. I havn't looked at the machines you mentioned so I don't know if she would prefer an upgrade on the sewing machine or overlocker ?? or as others have suggested the coverstitch is the next machine to get …

SkoutSews

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 18:59:07 PM »
Could you post a link or two to show us the machines you're considering?

Your wife might prefer to choose a machine herself. Is that an option? Or are you keen on the surprise element of the gift? She has Janome machines already, so the Janome 2000cpx coverstitch machine might suit her.

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 19:25:11 PM »
Thanks for all your replies.

This is the machine I was thinking of. I think the zoje company make them but others like the Tysew look identical.

https://www.hobkirk.co.uk/zoje-500

There are videos on YouTube if you search blind hemmer.

I may end up asking her what she prefers.

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 19:36:17 PM »
Looks like there's a considerable difference in the cost of the blind hemmer and coverstitch machines. Might be a factor in deciding.

Vezelay

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 20:10:06 PM »
Ill be honest @Foxy, I've never heard of a blind hemmer machine, nor can I imagine needing one (though I could have said the same about the coverstitch machine two years ago and now look at me!  :o)

I'm not a great believer in surprise birthday gifts. If I were your wife (only hypothetically  0_0) I'd prefer to be asked what I'd like if that kind of money was to be spent on me. Himself will often do a print out of what he proposes to buy and gives that to me in an envelope. If it suits then we'll go ahead with it. If not I'll come up with an alternative. Not very romantic but dead practical. We were not long married when he "bought" me a flying lesson which frankly horrified me. I opted for a nice relaxing weekend away instead.

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 10:06:01 AM »
Foxy,

Do you have a Sewing Emporia nearish to you; one of the Franklins Ilk which stock lots of brands of different machines as well as habby, threads and fabrics.

Maybe you could take her for a Grand Day out (if such an establishment isnt in the next town to you) treat her to a nice lunch and then wheel her into the Emporia and hand her a 'blank cheque' ...  sit yourself down in a chair with a coffee and the paper and let her go ???

I did this with Imself one birthday (sailing related) with a cheque made out to the birthday Boy value up to £££ .... 

Imself also did this with this to me one Christmas, with a visit to The Oakshott shop/unit, and basically said I could have what I wanted ...  :D  .... I wasn't over greedy but was certainly spoiled!

Just an idea?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 10:13:28 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Hummingbird

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 13:53:01 PM »
I would say the blind hemmer in the link you've provided would be used more for curtains than clothing.......they are quite different to making a blind hem on a sewing machine as they only use one thread and have a curved needle.

I think a dressmaker or craft sewist would be more interested in a coverstitch machine.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 08:59:58 AM by Hummingbird »

So Chic

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 16:11:35 PM »
It's a great idea to buy a machine for your wife but if it were me I would like to choose a new machine myself.  Most machines do a blind hem stitch as well nearly all overlockers but a cover stitch machine would be a good addition to her other machines rather than a blind hemmer.  Janome have a cover stitch machine in their range.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up