The Sewing Place

Skipping Stitches

annieg

Re: Skipping Stitches
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2018, 15:34:43 PM »
@Acorn   Congratulations - persistence pays. 
Are you going to buy the same machine again?
Annieg

Elnnina

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2018, 17:25:21 PM »
So glad that you have received the refund, bet your heart was in your mouth for a while.  Now you can breathe easily and take your time over what you are going to do now.  Will be interesting to see what you end of getting, and hopefully this time it will be a place that has a good reputation.

Lizzy777

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2018, 00:02:29 AM »
I have the refund.   :)

That's great Acorn. Am so pleased its been sorted out even if you did have to refer it back to PayPal. PayPal are very good and quick with refunds! Thank you for letting us know the outcome.

lizzy

So Chic

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2018, 15:02:07 PM »
Acorn,  good news about the refund and please let us know what machine you buy as a replacement.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Acorn

« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2018, 15:14:26 PM »
Thanks everyone.   :)

I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet.  I have looked at the same machine, but with a manufacturer's guarantee I would be paying an awful lot more.  There are a couple that are pre-owned but unused on Ebay (private sellers), but I'm a little risk averse at the moment!

Ideally I would like to find a fairly basic but tough machine with a large harp space, but they're extremely hard to find without spending a lot of money.  I'd be happy with a vintage machine if it had the large harp space.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

jen

« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2018, 18:46:56 PM »
Acorn I bought one of these a short while ago. My intention was to use it for embroidery but I decided to use it for a project or two. It would not stitch correctly on a poly crepe, blouse weight. Apart from using the Toyota bobbin in the Toyota I used the identical thread, needle fabric combo on my mechanical Bernina. No probs there. The Toyota stitched ok on firmer heavier fabrics. I haven’t proceeded with trying to get it checked or replaced yet. It looks like this machine has problems. Pretty annoying.

Acorn

« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2018, 19:18:19 PM »
Oh that is interesting.  Mine skipped stitches on every type of fabric I tried (I didn't try anything very heavy) but it was vastly worse on lightweight jersey - to the extent that it was skipping far more stitches than it was sewing.

arrow

« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2018, 20:31:59 PM »
Skipped stitches are usually caused by something like threading, cleaning, timing, or other mechanical issue has gone wrong.  Less then perfect stitches on flimsy material are more common, and the solution is spray on stabilisers, hoops, fusible interfacing,...

Acorn

« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2018, 20:40:16 PM »
I didn't do much embroidery on it - just played around on the first day I had it, on the fairly thick sample material they supplied.  I don't recall any skipping problems with that, but they wouldn't have been as immediately noticeable as with straight stitching.   Doing serpentine stitch on the same fabric was a nightmare - it skipped all the stitches on the right hand side.  That was the only time there was any regularity to the skipping though.

The lightweight jersey was making a dress, which I had to transfer to a different machine.  I didn't get beyond straight stitch on the seams before I gave up.

jen

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2018, 10:41:57 AM »
NowI have a dilemma. I was fed up with the Toyota skipping stitches on pretty normal fabrics, straight stitching, and contacted the supplier. They’ve sent me all the bits of paper to send it back for repair, so I decided to do a few samples of skipped stitches so they could see what I’m on about. Every darned fabric I’ve put through it this morning has absolutely bang on perfect stitches. I have a few more days before they close the dossier, what would you do? In an unusually organised fit I got rid of the scraps from the poly crepe, blouse weight, which was the worst offender. I’m almost ready to hack a bit off the finished shirt.  Could it have got banged about in transit and suddenly settled down? Is that possible ?

So Chic

« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2018, 16:16:14 PM »
I know a lot of you have Toyota machines with which you're very happy but I would steer clear of them as I've not heard of any positive reports.  Sorry if I'm being a bit dismissive about Toyotas.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 16:18:45 PM by So Chic »
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Vezelay

« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2018, 17:15:35 PM »
Isn't that typical @jen  :( - machinery of any kind that goes wrong...until the moment you want it to! I was thinking what would I do. Probably stitch on it as much as possible for the next few days and if it skipped even once off it goes.  If not could you email to explain its intermittent so could you give it a last chance - keep the door open for return/repair. Very frustrating though.

jen

« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2018, 08:27:22 AM »
Good strategy Vezeley.

Acorn

« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2018, 09:33:08 AM »
I found this with my Oekaki.  As soon as I tried to demonstrate where it was skipping, it stopped and behaved impeccably.  When I tried to sew a garment it went haywire again.

I reckon it knew when it was being tested and pulled its socks up.

jen

« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2018, 19:01:32 PM »
@Acorn That’s what I’m afraid of  :D