The Sewing Place

Inventing an FBA

wrenkins

Inventing an FBA
« on: June 14, 2018, 15:09:50 PM »
Any insomniacs interested parties reading my 'sewing' diary will know that today's the day I'm not going to make a dress. I'm going to make a top half and a bottom half! (maybe)
The pattern here is a batwing stylee thing to facilitate my ginormous knockers but should I add a little bit of length to the front as well? I'm making view B and am a JJcup size so well beyond an FBA. There is no "lengthen here" line and no bust darts but should I cut it a tiny bit longer so that the front can go out and in again without flattening me? I'll need to take up the extra somewhere to match the back piece but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

b15erk

Re: Inventing an FBA
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 15:15:32 PM »
I would.  You could first measure the pattern piece, then yourself, and check the length.  Several times lately I've had to add as much as 4" to stop the bodice being Empire Line!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 15:30:29 PM »
Excellent! Thanks Jessie.
It might be easier to make the dress according to the pattern until I know what I'm doing. The top back looks really short and the thought of putting some kind of band round the bottom might still be a bit beyond me.  ><
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 16:57:58 PM »
Knock up a quick try out with a bit of old sheet first (toile to posh people)  That should give you a bit of a clue.
Life's too short for ironing.

SkoutSews

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 17:18:00 PM »
You can just cut it out with the longer front and see how it goes. You can always trim fabric off, it's sticking it back on that's difficult.

DementedFairy

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 17:30:29 PM »
Add the extra length at CF and curve it back up to the waistline.  Alternatively, add it in all across, and cheat- strecth the back side seam when stitching so the 'dart' disappears into ease.  I think this is the way Shams does it...Communing with fabric post here
C'est moi!

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 18:58:54 PM »
I think I may try the 'disappearing dart' method. That's what I'd first thought of and also my rack goes right from one side to the other as I'm very narrow across the back and I'm not sure I would be confident in the placement of the CF adjustment. I might end up with something like a sporran hanging down the front!  :[
Loads of info there @DementedFairy thanks and I've saved it to go back over. I'm eyeing up those fish eye darts... 8)  :S
I might just try a toile @Ploshkin. I'd like to be able to hack and chop to see what happens when I make all the different adjustments.
I've put the skirt together, with a couple of birds' nests here and there, but I've sorted out my tension and settings and the fabric is behaving beautifully.