The Sewing Place

Hi from Annette in Oz

ambro0

Hi from Annette in Oz
« on: June 15, 2018, 10:58:55 AM »
Just popping in to introduce myself. It's winter here in Queensland and a great time to be inside the house and creating.

I've been sewing for 50 plus years and am hoping to reconnect with others that I have met on other forums. I sew my own clothes and love to keep up with what everyone else is creating.

Lately, I have gone back to drafting my own patterns in Pattern Master Knits. Earlier this year I enrolled in Sarah Veblen's Fun with Fitting Pants Class on PR and finally, I have made pants that I am really happy with.

I am also a huge fan of Style Arc patterns and have also dabbled with Sure Fit Designs.

Like lots of others, I have a huge stash, so this year I am on a self-imposed RTW Fast and trying to resist buying new fabrics and use up my stash.

I've recently started learning the art of scrumbling following methods published by Prudence Mapstone. You use a combination of knitting and crochet to create garments and basically, there are NO rules. No garments made yet but I am having lots of fun practising all the different patterns in PM's books.

Thanks for allowing me to join what seems to be a really friendly group of sewists. I look forward to sharing and learning.

Cheers,
Annette
Annette

Bernina Aurora QE440, Bernina 1150MDA Overlocker, Janome Coverpro 1000 CPX, Elna Air Electronic SU

Iminei

Re: Hi from Annette in Oz
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 11:08:01 AM »
Welcome Ambr0 and thanks for supporting us with your presence and subscription.

I know nothing about the lightside being unable to sew but there are plenty of lightsiders here,
so take a look around and have fun

Imi
xxx
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

maliw

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 12:10:56 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum. I love Style arc patterns having being introduced to them a few years ago by our own Demented Fairy who I'm begining to think has shares in the company she has made so many.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Kenora

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 12:12:57 PM »
Hi Annette - lovely to meet you. It's great to hear of everything you're involved in. I, too, struggled to get the pants fit right (like a lot of people) but - unlike you - I'm still at the struggling stage! :S I spend more time on the Dark Side so perhaps that explains it. Anyway, I look forward to seeing what you're making - the scrumbling sounds fun too. I've never tried it with crochet - only with painting, so that's really interesting. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Nevis5

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 12:24:35 PM »
Hi Annette, and welcome from me too  :toast:  I too really like Style Arc patterns, they're such a good fit.  Never heard of scrumbling, would love to see photos sometime ...

Greybird

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 13:06:10 PM »
Hello and welcome!!!

Manuela

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 15:05:24 PM »
Welcome to the forum Annette  :)

Lollipop

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 15:21:26 PM »
Welcome Annette  :D
Was Sewnanny

Surest1tch

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 15:46:48 PM »
Hello and welcome Annette  :drink:

Sewingsue

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 16:01:59 PM »
Welcome, Annette.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 16:29:21 PM »
Welcome to The Sewing Place.
I've recently started learning the art of scrumbling following methods published by Prudence Mapstone. You use a combination of knitting and crochet to create garments and basically, there are NO rules. No garments made yet but I am having lots of fun practising all the different patterns in PM's books.

I had to look that one up - I know scumbling as a painting technique which allows the underlying colour to show through.

Is yarn scumbling a way of using up yarn stash?  :angel:
or does it make you need to buy more and more? :devil:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Helen M

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 16:48:46 PM »
Welcome Annette, hope you'll enjoy it here!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

ambro0

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 20:55:01 PM »
Is yarn scumbling a way of using up yarn stash?  :angel:
or does it make you need to buy more and more? :devil:

Hi Brenda.
Combination of colours seems to be the secret for scrumbling. So, I guess you will use up your stash if the colours work together. Many different types of yarn can be used to create luscious textures and visual interest.
Annette

Bernina Aurora QE440, Bernina 1150MDA Overlocker, Janome Coverpro 1000 CPX, Elna Air Electronic SU

ambro0

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 20:56:46 PM »
 Thank you all for making me feel so welcome!!
Annette

fajita

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 21:46:30 PM »
Welcome, @ambro0  :drink: :flower: