The Sewing Place

Peachy orange soft suiting?

elisep

Peachy orange soft suiting?
« on: June 15, 2018, 11:15:31 AM »
I have a soft drapey RTW blazer that I absolutely adore, but it's seen so much wear now that the only suitable place for it is the bin. The cuffs are stained and I've tried everything to get them clean but I just have to accept defeat.
I normally don't have an issue getting rid of clothes beyond their useful life, but the issue with this jacket is, it really coodinates with a lot of clothes in my wardrobe that I wear to work. And since taking it out of circulation I am having trouble putting together enough outfits!

So, I'm wondering whether I can find something close enough in colour and make a replacement. It's a peachy orange colour, but I have no idea how to describe the fabric. It's a drapey fabric, medium weight - almost like a crepe but it's smooth and slightly shiny - not enough to be a satin though.
I'll order from anywhere as long as I can order a sample first to check the colour. Has anyone seen anything like this in their travels on the internet?

Edited to add - I don't mind on the finish of the fabric so much, the colour is the most important thing... but I would prefer it to be soft and drapey!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 11:25:28 AM by elisep »
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

BrendaP

Re: Peachy orange soft suiting?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 16:09:32 PM »
Is it the matte side of crepe backed satin?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 16:17:43 PM »
Sounds like peachskin to me @elisep, but I don't know if you will find a jacket weight fabric.

Catllar

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 18:50:54 PM »
I was thinking peach skin too.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Catllar

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 18:59:17 PM »
I've had a look at a couple of sites I use - mood fabrics, FabFab and Coupons de St.Pierre but nothing of that sort of weight. Far too lightweight. I'll keep looking cos in the back of my mind........
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Kwaaked

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 09:53:57 AM »
This is a color I wear, and I haven't seen much of it since 2014.  It pops up, but you'll probably have to hunt and/or be patient to find it.

elisep

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 12:47:21 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions ladies, apologies that I haven't been back before now!

I think UttaRetch and Catllar are right, it's a peach skin. Would you know that my local fabric store actually have silk blend peach skin in at the moment? I got quite excited as they had a pinkish colour in there, but sadly when I took in the top I'm trying to match, it's much too pink. I realised that I don't need to match the actual colour, it only needs to tone with the existing pieces in my wardrobe, so that might make it a bit easier to find the right fabric. I'm also not fussed on the actual type of fabric - eg any drapey suiting type fabric will do.

Thanks for those links surestitch, I've ordered a sample of each of those, we'll see what they look like! They also had a peachskin so I've grabbed a sample of that too!
Stash Busting 2023

elisep

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 13:02:15 PM »
Just popped back in to thank you all for your help - I've found the perfect fabric! The self lined stretch crepe from Minerva crafts that Surestitch suggested.
I plan to use the matte side out, with the shiny side in, I won't need to line it, which is a big plus.

Now, off to choose a pattern!
Stash Busting 2023

UttaRetch

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 16:47:43 PM »
Ditch the purple velvet for your evening gown and go for this

instead. :D