The Sewing Place

When you are supposed to be cleaning the sewing room

WendyW

When you are supposed to be cleaning the sewing room
« on: June 19, 2018, 23:14:43 PM »
My sewing room furniture is in it's new location, but the creative contents are spewed across the new room and the old. With half the family out of town this week, I am abdicating all familial responsibilities and working on MY space. The quantity of my scraps far exceeds the amount of space available to contain them, so therefore I must sew! This IS cleaning, isn't it??  Here's the results of the last 2 days of utilizing my scraps betwixt segments of actual work.

A baby quilt from WOF strings resulting from my own previous sewing.
charity quilt 2 by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

And a kid quilt from other people's scraps found at the thrift store. The inside block of 2" squares was purchased that way, and I built the rest around it.
charity quilt 1 by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

Renegade Sewist

Re: When you are supposed to be cleaning the sewing room
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 01:37:55 AM »
Lovely quilts. It's good to interject some play time in between the serious work. It reminds you of why you want the spiffed up sewing room to begin with.  :toast:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 07:02:48 AM »
My ex used to talk about "increasing the density to decrease the volume" when he was was tidying his shed!  0_0
Sounds to me like sewing up all that stuff is doing exactly that and should work a treat.  :toast:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Bowerbird

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 09:12:11 AM »
Regard the sewing as preparation for tidying the room. Getting the ergonomics and the work  flow area just right, and of course, the right feng shui.

Then you may have to do a risk assessment on the area before you make any decisions as to placement of machines. And then you have to find out who to submit the reports to. 0_0

Realistically, it could take months before you can even start to consider starting to arrange things.

I'd sit down & have a glass of red medicine now if I were you. Just to help the decision making process of course.

And the quilts are gorgeous.

WendyW

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 15:15:23 PM »
"increasing the density to decrease the volume" when he was was tidying his shed.

That sounds like how my hubby cleans the garage! He packs everything in tight to clear space, so that the only thing accessible is his motorcycle, which suits HIM just fine!

Bowerbird, I like the way you think! I do hope to have it functional by the end of the week though, not in months.

Here's last night accomplishment (between sorting big bins of yardages and a bagful of scraps). Hubby asked that I shade the ceiling bulb because the light hits him right in the corner of his eye when he's at his desk. A suggestion from PR pointed me to the construction, and the embroidery hoops came from my stash of wooden crafty bits. Total cost was about $4 for the chain and hooks.

ceiling lampshade by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 15:17:35 PM »
Clever!   0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Kenora

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 18:00:27 PM »
Ingenious.  :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath