The Sewing Place

Shut my eyes and hand over the credit card!

rubywishes

Shut my eyes and hand over the credit card!
« on: June 20, 2018, 10:46:22 AM »
Oh it's been a rough couple of weeks. I have agreed to do a couple of 6 day weeks at work and it has been hard going with 7am starts and unfortunately it has coincided with, or exacerbated a nasty bout of anxiety that I am struggling to deal with. I have been prone to it on and off over the years, never really found a good way to deal with it other than waiting it out whilst feeling utterly wretched and sick. I just try to put it to one side while I try to get through the day.......

Anyway...intro over, and onto the point of the post.

I got into the car this afternoon after finishing my shift, wiped out, second guessing everything I'd done during the shift and then suddenly decided instead of driving home I would head down to a local-ish P&Q shop. I had nothing in mind to purchase, nothing really needed, I just needed to "do" something to distract my self-talk dialogue which was not doing me any good at all. And you know what I did when I got to the shop?  I bought myself a Creative Grids Stripology Ruler. Yup, all $90AUS of it! :o I've thought about having one for ages but always balked at the cost but.....you know, it was my birthday yesterday afterall and I am doing extra shifts at work and.....and.......and I think Mr.Ruby is contemplating purchasing another motorcycle associated farkle.

So it's probly going to be a week or two before I feel calm enough to get back into the current WIP (Iminei inspired) but I am looking forward to cutting my next lot of strips and squares with it. Does anyone else have one? I have read a heap of reviews about it but in the end, sometimes I think you just have to bite the bullet and "give it a go". I always struggle cutting nice straight strips so I am hoping this will do the trick for me.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 10:51:17 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

b15erk

Re: Shut my eyes and hand over the credit card!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 10:52:37 AM »
RW, I feel for you with the anxiety, it's very debilitating.  I suffer intermittently, and it's horrid.  Glad you were able to make the decision to buy, I usually walk out of the shop in a panic, if I'm anxious!

It was meant to be, you've worked hard, you've had a birthday, and you needed a reward.  :toast:

Well done for that purchase, enjoy it!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 10:54:13 AM »
I have a June Tailor Shape Cut which is similar but only does 1/2" increments. The CG one looks interesting and is about £45 here in Blighty. Hope it puts a smile on your face  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 10:55:41 AM »
It's always good to have something to look forward to, that you can think about instead of letting other thoughts in.

I love shopping in $AUS... the price goes down so much when it's converted to £UK...  ;)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 13:38:47 PM »
Well Done Rubes! an excellent Birthday purchase....

and yes sometimes the only thing to do is to plunge in!!! Try out on fabric that doesn't matter first tho'

tutorial

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sewingsue

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 14:09:57 PM »
Fascinating, but was anyone else worried about how close her fingers were to that blade?
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Pearl

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 19:56:38 PM »
Well done, Rubes.  Great purchase.  I have this on my wish list.

I've recently bought my first Creative Grids ruler and am using it to make my Project Linus quilt, so can't tell you which one it is yet!   ;)

Silver Rose

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 09:18:39 AM »
A great birthday present for you @rubywishes and thank you @Iminei for the tutorial - amazing stuff, coincidentally I bought my first quilter's ruler yesterday just a 12" x 6" and had an helpful chat to one of the lovely staff at Anglian Fashion Fabrics about accurate cutting of squares and she has inspired me to maybe make a bag using some quilt blocks after I have had more practise with my rotary cutter.

Still learning