The Sewing Place

Why didn't I think of that before?

Thecostumelady

Why didn't I think of that before?
« on: June 16, 2018, 16:05:38 PM »
Hi everyone!  Haven't posted for ages so thought it was time I did.  So, here's a question - What have you recently discovered is a much easier way to do, that you have been doing the hard way for years?
Here's mine to start you off.  When putting in leg elastic etc., sew the elastic to the raw edge on the inside as usual, then, when you have turned it over to do the second pass, turn your garment over and stitch it on the right side of the fabric.  This way you eliminate those annoying little tucks that sometimes appear when you haven't stretched it flat enough. Why didn't I think of that before?  Okay, over to you.  Ann x

Mr Twingo

Re: Why didn't I think of that before?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 22:41:23 PM »
Disguising raw edges with binding (not bias binding) has always been a challenge. Although I have a binding attachment, I find it tricky to use.

After months of frustration, I started using glue to hold the binding in place. Pins are no good, as the fabric I use is too stiff, and clips are too bulky. I find the perfect glue is a Wilko branded glue stick. It's tacky rather than sticky, so repositioning the binding is easy, and there's no sticky mess left behind.

So that's my revelation: use glue!

Yellowfeather

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 18:10:05 PM »
Putting elastic into the arm holes of leotards with my overlocker, I used to try and start/finish under the arm by the seam.  It always missed the fabric or looked a mess.  I now start/finish about half way up the back of the arm hole, much better finish!!

Sewingforfun

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 14:23:13 PM »
What good ideas!!
I've discovered invisible zips for lycra/stretch. Putting the zip only on the seam allowance gives a much flatter line than faffing around trying to get a topstitched zip right.

And using an invisible zip that is much longer than I need and then creating my own end bar later so that I can use the invisible zipper foot as far down as I want and not get tangled up in the bar for the last little bit.

Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.