The Sewing Place

Jalie patterns deserve to be better known

Marniesews

Jalie patterns deserve to be better known
« on: June 16, 2018, 23:43:44 PM »
Jalie patterns are a staple for many of us in The Show Must Go On and there's been a lot of excitement about their latest collection. I've bought quite a few for dance dresses but up until now I've not bought any of their day wear because I've not had much time for anything else but now I have a few more opportunities. They've just released a new collection and this time I've gone for a lovely new leotard pattern, a higher waisted leggings pattern that has no centre front seam but does have a gusset and also a kimono. The first two will be for my DGD but I may make the last one for all three generations.

I suspect very few of you have come across them but they definitely deserve to be better known. They are a French Canadian company, established in the 80s I think, who have really made their name in the dance, skating & gymnastic worlds but they do a lot of non-sporting garments and have men & boys' too. Currently they have more knit than woven patterns but, like the kimono and others in this latest release, they are developing that part of their range.

Their patterns are in an amazing range of sizes from tots to adults (each pattern in at least 22 sizes and some up to 27), their blog section has good information & tutorials and there's an excellent facebook group too. They have pdfs but I like mine pre-printed so get them from Habithat in Devon with very quick delivery.

They are a bit more expensive than the big 4 but are on very substantial paper with strong markings (easy to trace) and with all those nested sizes tracing from one size line to another for a pattern that follows your measurements is a practical & more accurate option than bridging bigger gaps between fewer printed sizes. What I absolutely love about them is that you can download both a pdf of the back of the envelope information and also the English/French instructions before you buy the pattern.  :o :) That's indicative of their company ethos.

You may be surprised what's there beyond the activewear & sports patterns - from hospital scrubs to underwear (men's, women's & kids), jeans, cardigans, puffer jacket, maternity and more! There's nothing more exciting than 22 sizes in one packet. :D

Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

UttaRetch

Re: Jalie patterns deserve to be better known
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 08:28:56 AM »
I associate Jalie with dance and sportswear, neither of which speaks to me nor do I sew with stretch fabrics.  I have just had a general look at the pattern lines and no, nothing for me.

Nevis5

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 08:33:55 AM »
I like Jalie patterns too, Marniesews - I'm not interested in the active wear stuff but have made their older patterns, t shirts and tops etc many times.  Also like their pull on pants pattern, have used that constantly over the past year or so, must have made five or six pairs.   Finally got their City Coat made out of raincoat fabric (no stretch required really despite what the pattern says) in the winter, have worn it loads already (ha!).

I was disappointed in their latest releases though, nothing there for me.  I like the top (Rose?) pattern but it's sleeveless.  I can see as a maker of leotards, swimming costumes etc though it would be a great release for you.

Hachi

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 09:01:50 AM »
I LOVE Jalie  :flower:

While I'm not an athlete, my measurement ratio is closer to Jalie's than more hour-glass figure targeted Big 4 or any other Western pattern companies so I don't have to alter pattern other than shortening most of the time.

I was a bit disappointed with the newest collection for women's patterns, but I am planning to get the men's hoodie and the long john/underwear patterns, both of which were something I was searching for over the past winter for my husband.

They are a bit expensive compared to Big 4 patterns (especially when I'm used to the Big 4 prices in the US) but worth every penny.

Celia

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 10:11:17 AM »
I love Julie too, I have sewn a lot mainly tops as they seem to fit me well, my best trouser patterns are Style arc.

It amazes me the way Julie do so many sizes in one pattern but it does seem to work, they are very well drafted in my experience

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 11:20:06 AM »
Another Jalie fan here. The patterns I have used are well drafted and go together beautifully.

Their pull on trousers are fab if your waist size varies daily like mine does.

I too made the City coat and have worn it to death.

Their patterns cover such a wide size range that I don't mind paying a little extra as I can use them for me and DD.

I would have never heard of them without TSF and its much superior reincarnation TSP, but am so glad I did.

Lollipop

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 11:22:52 AM »
I love Jalie and use their patterns, in one form or another, all the time. Their new Joelle leotard pattern is lovely and I can see it becoming a mainstay for dancewear.
I love the fact that I can get pdf's because I am so impatient. I like that I can select a size and just print that one if I want to, or print the whole thing and trace off as required.
They are adaptable too; so using the top from one pattern with sleeves from another and skirt from a third is easy. Apart from their yoga pants and crop tops and shorts I have only used the dancewear patterns.

Their videos are very useful and they also have a gallery of real makes from real people.
Was Sewnanny

Fiona M

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 11:37:26 AM »
My TNT sweatshirt pattern is the Jalie one that comes with the hoodie version and leggings as well.  I love that you get so many sizes included..

Marniesews

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 13:35:30 PM »
Looks like I was mostly preaching to the converted.   :D

Not so surprising here perhaps with the number of dancewear makers. I'm really glad I posted this though as I've glanced at that city coat and will be getting it now I've seen your comments. I hope to finally reach my target with Slimming World later this year and then I'll be willing to put the time & effort into that… for me!  :D
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 09:54:22 AM »
I used a Jalie pattern for the first time this year, and it was excellent.  I chose the Eleanore leggings, and they went together beautifully.  The huge range of sizes also meant that I could make a pair for me (still waiting to be sewn together  :|)

I will definitely be using them more!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Puzzler

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 20:00:47 PM »
I have one Jalie pattern for two styles of T-shirt. I have yet to make it because I got scared off by all the sizes in one pattern. I know it’ll be my high bust measurement that will determine it - and will need back, shoulder and full bust adjustments but couldn’t take the plunge. Maybe I need to try a less fitted pattern like the kimono.

Barbara Emodi just wrote a week’s worth of blog posts with photos as she sewed up several patterns from the latest Jalie range. I wasn’t overwhelmed with the patterns but saw them in a different light after I read her posts. The blog is called Sewing on the Edge.

Marniesews

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 00:58:27 AM »
@Puzzler Do revisit your T-shirt pattern but perhaps concentrate on the line drawings and sewing instructions and then go to the tracing. You can greatly improve your chances by posting a question about the fit of your particular pattern to people who have already made it on their Facebook group page because the sewing itself shouldn't be too challenging. Lots of help there for Jalie patterns.

@b15erk I bought the Cora leggings for my DGD and with a thought of using them for me in the swimming pool but I'm continuing to prevaricate. It'll be interesting to compare our experiences. Perhaps we can have our own over-60s legging sew-along!  ;) 0_0  Oh dear, I hope I haven't just prematurely aged you!  :o
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 01:00:21 AM by Marniesews »

MitchOfTheNorth

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 21:29:28 PM »
I love Jalie patterns.  I did alot of dancewear sewing up until 2 years ago - it was so convenient with the different sizes and being able to combine different patterns without too much fuss.  With all the sizes, it was easier to adjust the patterns especially as I worked with young teenagers - they don't grow evenly!  So, part of them was kid-sized and part was teen-sized & I just traced from one size to the next.  I love their swimsuit patterns - I've made oodles of them over the years.
Stashbusting 2022
Goal:  50 meters
Total:  32.5 meters