The Sewing Place

Kitri base skirt

Heikedog

Kitri base skirt
« on: March 19, 2017, 13:35:42 PM »
For a Spanish style dress with multiple flounce layers, what is a good fabric to use for the base skirt?  Is there a fine line between having enough weight so the fabric doesn't just float everywhere or tangle up on itself and being too heavy?  I was thinking about stretch mesh for the underskirt and embroidered tulle for the flounces?  Would this work?  I think I read about someone using stretch mesh in an online article about making a Kitri dress, but I could be wrong.

Secondly, is there a good pattern available for a Kitri dress?  I've gotten some good advice on how to adapt a stretch leo-based pattern, but I'm an auditor by day and not really comfortable with "winging it."

Thanks!

Lesley

Vegegrow

Re: Kitri base skirt
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 16:11:13 PM »
Sounds like you need Catlar.......our flamenco expert :flower: :flower:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Catllar

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 18:04:11 PM »
Did someone call? 
 Never use a stretch if you are applying frills - it'll stretch beyond belief and you don't need stretch in a skirt.

You are making a ballet costume?  I'd use a silk organza for the base. That'll be light and stable. Your embroidered tulle will work fine - the 2 fabrics need to complement each other weightwise.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Heikedog

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 19:16:48 PM »
Yes, a ballet costume, for a Kitri variation.  Silk organza it is!

One more question ... is there a rule of thumb for length of the skirt?  Should it be attached at the waist to the leo (if I go the stretch route) or the high hip?  Sorry ... that was two questions.   :P

Thanks!

Catllar

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 20:21:51 PM »
You need a tutu lady for that - outside my field !
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

HVM

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 16:57:50 PM »
There are more expert tutu makers than me on here but I would say you can do either if, as I understand it (I've never made one), the Kitri is usually a bell type tutu.

Seam Stress(ed)

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 20:30:48 PM »
If you do an image search with google, you will see quite a variation.  Some on the high hip, some at the waist and some with a dropped waist bodice. 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=kitri+costume&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj8w93Rt-jSAhWsD8AKHU_hAf0Q_AUICCgB&biw=1696&bih=807#imgrc=_

serifloss

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 04:29:58 AM »
What kind of 'dress' do you want to make? Are you planning on attaching the Kitri style skirt to a full leotard or to a leotard top? I might be able to make some suggestions if I know what you want to do.

Heikedog

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 19:45:47 PM »
My original thought was a 3-4 tiered skirt on a full leotard, but now I'm leaning more toward non-stretch with a separate bodice.  I can be swayed either way.   0_0

serifloss

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 02:49:07 AM »
I haven't made stretch tutus so I would be just guessing at this- If I was going to do a skirt on a leo I think I would go for the full leotard, it would prevent riding up and the skirt would sit better. As you would be only having 3 or 4 layers for the skirt it shouldn't be too heavy. Non- stretch you could either go with the Russian bodice (long line to the hip) and the layers attached to the basque/panty. Or you could use a traditional peaked bodice, with the layers the same as previously mentioned. Either way I think it really would just be a variation of a romantic tutu. I think I have also seen or maybe read where a 'faux' flamenco skirt was made with a light weight base skirt (full circle or more- I wouldn't use stretch fabric- maybe a tulle or lace) and the layers were wide-ish ruffles sewn in concentric circles on top of that layer.

Seam Stress(ed)

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 13:45:12 PM »
If you look at the Tutus That Dance patterns (www.tutusthatdance.com), they have a variety of patterns you could use, both stretch and non stretch.  You could use the 6000 Russian bodice style leotard and attach the skirt wherever you like, waist, dropped waist, high hip.  If you are going down the non stretch route, then you could use the traditional Engllish V point pattern, or the Russian.  My personal preference with this type skirt is the drop waist and there are a few of those on the site too, with or without sleeves.  Have fun! :-)

Heikedog

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 15:12:31 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions!  I have quite a few of TTD patterns so I'll give combining them a whirl and see what happens.  Fortunately, I'm planning way ahead so I've got a lot of time to start over.  And over and over.   :D