The Sewing Place

Embed or share photos into posts

Francesca

Embed or share photos into posts
« on: March 01, 2017, 10:17:32 AM »
If you don't have subscriber ability to add photos to a post, or you want to embed them right into the post content rather than on the end of the post, you can use a third party image host.

You can watch a video of this process to see how it works, it takes less than 90 seconds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jsRBSvF9p4

Or follow these written instructions:

TSP recommends Imgur.com for sharing photos as it's easy to use.

Uploading to Imgur.com

1. Visit Imgur.com
2. Choose "New Post" at the top. You don't need an account, but having one will save all the photos you upload so you can go back and find them again.

3. Browse for photos on your machine, or drag the files into the screen. You can select multiple files.

4. Your imgur "post" will then be created. It might take a little time to process the images.

5. Hover on the image and you will see the URL to the image in the top right corner. Click and copy this.

Now you have two options

A. Share the link in your post. This will not add the photo right into your post but will give an external link to the post like this:

http://imgur.com/G6uof5I

B. You can embed your photo directly into the post but this requires some changes to the copied link, good for intermediate computer uses.

i. Add lowercase "L" to the end of the URL. This means "large" and is an appropriate size for the forum.
Code: [Select]
http://imgur.com/G6uof5Ilii. Add ".jpg" to the end of the URL. This specifies you're linking to a direct image rather than a web page.
http://imgur.com/G6uof5Il.jpgiii. Add "i." in front of the imgur.com portion of the URL. This tells Imgur you want the direct photo.
http://i.imgur.com/G6uof5Il.jpg
You can then include your new URL using the photo button for it to appear in the post, like so:

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 15:01:20 PM by Francesca »

Ellabella

Re: Embed or share photos into posts
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 15:19:02 PM »
Thanks Fran, for the first time ever I managed to upload a link in a post.

Who knew that The Sewing Place would be a place to learn techy stuff as well as chat about sewing.

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 10:30:45 AM »
Have you got an idiot guide to putting photos in a post.  It doesn't seem to work like before.  I can select the photo from my hard drive and see it at the bottom but can't seem to get it inserted into the post.   
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 16:27:12 PM »
It is confusing, but if you want an in-post image

then you need to follow Fran's tutorial.  A picture from your computer will be placed at the bottom of the post.

DementedFairy

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 22:14:20 PM »
That's not how I put an image from imgur in...I right click on the image, select 'copy image location', then come back here and use the 'insert image' button, pasting the doobrey mcpherson in between the brackety things.  I is very technical innit

Now just checking it still works!
C'est moi!

Francesca

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 23:46:49 PM »
That's not how I put an image from imgur in...I right click on the image, select 'copy image location', then come back here and use the 'insert image' button, pasting the doobrey mcpherson in between the brackety things.  I is very technical innit

Now just checking it still works!

Yep this definitely works!

The key advantage of the way I laid it out is that it doesn't go 100% width, you can add the l.jpg on the end to make the image slightly smaller thus fitting more on the page.

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 08:19:36 AM »
That's not how I put an image from imgur in...

I don't actually use Imgur as it doesn't play nice with my elderly Mac.  As I mostly want to post images from the net, I find one that is roughly the size the forum prefers (500 wide x 665 high), grab the .jpg file string and then drop it into the image coder.

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 10:45:32 AM »
Well I'm screwed on this, I usually manage to work most pc problems out but can't sort this out.  I don't want to use another provider for pictures and have them floating in space, I just want to use straight from my hard drive. 

I click on Insert Image and get the brackets.  I go to the attachments option and find the photo, choose photo, where the picture name appears at the side at the bottom.  I can't drag, paste or anything.  What next?   
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 16:28:39 PM »
@Gernella: it is not possible to have a picture that sets on your computer appear in-post, they will always be at the bottom.  To use Imgur, you need a picture file that includes a web address and ends in .jpg or .png 

You don't have to keep anything Imgur, just use it to facilitate in-post pictures.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 15:59:08 PM by Acorn »

Francesca

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 16:37:11 PM »
Well I'm screwed on this, I usually manage to work most pc problems out but can't sort this out.  I don't want to use another provider for pictures and have them floating in space, I just want to use straight from my hard drive. 

I click on Insert Image and get the brackets.  I go to the attachments option and find the photo, choose photo, where the picture name appears at the side at the bottom.  I can't drag, paste or anything.  What next?

There are two ways to have pictures show on TSP. 1) You upload them to the post (and they sit on our server). This means they sit at the bottom of the post. 2) You upload them elsewhere and then embed them into the post.

You can't upload them using the attachment and then drag them into your post. If you don't want to use another provider then you must upload them to your post in which case they appear at the bottom.

Can I ask why you don't want them uploaded elsewhere? Imgur.com doesn't publicly display them elsewhere unless you hit "share with community". Perhaps you could purchase your own hosting space and upload them to there if you want more control?

sewing in oz

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 21:32:05 PM »
Can I add a little bit to this fabulous tute now that I worked out how to post small photos?  (Only took me all afternoon but I'm not terribly tech, and it might save someone else):

I followed Fran's excellent instructions to the letter, but the photo kept coming out full size not small like I wanted. 

So the 4th time of trying, I had a bit of a brainwave, and changed the lower case L she adds to the end of the imgur file name to a lower case S (for small).  It worked!!

And I've just tried the medium option and got this:

Gernella - if you're worried about any personal metadata info getting into the hands of Imgur, you can use Imgur without signing up (I didn't know that till yesterday), and you can remove the metadata from your image before uploading it to Imgur.  This is how I do it:

Right click the file name in my hard drive and go down to "properties" right at the bottom.  From there I click the "details" tab, and at the bottom of that page is a clickable link "remove properties and personal information".  I click that and resave the file.  The new file has all personal and metadata removed, and that's the file I upload to Imgur.

Thanks Fran for a such a terrific tutorial - I was never able to upload photos easily to the old TSF but this is a piece of cake!!

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 21:35:17 PM »
Inspired.

Francesca

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 21:39:20 PM »
Yes imgur needs no account, but also when you upload to them it just sits on their server but doesn't get shared with the wider community unless you choose to do so by clicking the "share with community" or something like that button.

Gernella

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 12:04:21 PM »
I'll just have to bite the bullet and go the Imgur way.  I've looked at the metadata and after resizing with Adobe there is no real personal data on, least ways nothing that could be tracked to me directly.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2017, 10:47:40 AM »
Have you got an idiot guide to putting photos in a post.  It doesn't seem to work like before.  I can select the photo from my hard drive and see it at the bottom but can't seem to get it inserted into the post.

I am having (I think) the same problem.

I open the 'Post reply' screen.
Then I click on 'Attachments and other options'.
Then I click 'Browse' and select a photo from my hard drive.
Then I can see the name of the photo to the right of the browse button.

But there does not seem to be a way to add the photo into the post...?

I have posted a photo a while ago and I managed it then, so I don't know if the procedure has changed in the meantime or if part of my brain is having a snooze.
I don't want to use an external image host like imgur right now, I just want to quickly add one photo to a post, straight from my hard drive.

Thanks for any help in advance  :flower:

(At the minute I have attached a photo to this post from my hard drive, and I can see the name of the photo next to the browse button. I cannot see the photo in the post preview, but I shall click on 'post' and see what happens).