The Sewing Place

Singer 611g buttonholer

b15erk

Singer 611g buttonholer
« on: June 18, 2018, 09:40:09 AM »
This is usually the best behaved of my machines, and makes divine buttonholes.  But on Saturday, just when I really, really needed it to make beautiful buttonholes, it started to misbehave.

This machine is a slant shank type, but the feed dog cover provided is only useful for the Touch and Sew, so I use the standard feed dog cover, which has worked very well.

Until Saturday morning, when the Feed Dog Cover began to creep forward as the buttonhole was being made, and then the needle started to hit on it.  3 new sewing needles later, I walked away, and made far inferior buttonholes on the Pfaff.  :(

Anyone have any suggestions as to why this has started to happen?  I've never had a problem before, the 611g has always made beautiful buttonholes.

I attach the Feed Dog Cover as tightly as I can, I use a piece of leather underneath to stop it marking the bed of the machine, and even tried removing that, but it was still creeping forward.

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

LeilaMay

Re: Singer 611g buttonholer
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 11:40:39 AM »
Hi Jessie - I don't have a 611g, so maybe I'm missing something, but looking at the manual online it doesn't need a special feeddog cover when buttonholing?

Looking at the manual  http://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/719377/singer-611.html?page=53&original=1

it says general purpose throat plate? It doesn't mention a cover at all. I'm probably missing something, sorry.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 11:48:02 AM »
LM, thank you so much for looking, but the instruction you found is for machine made buttonholes.  I was using the buttonhole attachment, which has templates to replicate various buttonholes.

I did try using the attachment without the feed dog cover, but it just ruched the fabric up rather badly.

I will get the manuals out when I get home, to see if I can find any further clues.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

DementedFairy

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 11:56:58 AM »
I think that the metal is fairly soft, and over time, the vibrations make the threads 'go baggy' or some such technical term.  Other than a new dog cover, it won't get any better as far as I know
C'est moi!

LeilaMay

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 12:04:20 PM »
Oh, now I understand. Sorry I don't know about this then, I only have buttonholers for straight shank machines so far :(

arrow

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 13:15:40 PM »
Is there any sign the throat plate has taken a hit, or wear in general? Any rough spot can usually be polished out. I think there should be a separate throat plate working as a feed dog cover (similar to this one) It should have a raised center and the feed dogs move below the plate.

broken needle issues;

Check feed dog cover and stitch plate for rough spots; if the thread catches it can pull the needle of center.

Up the needle size on havier fabrics, near bumpy seams etc., go for 18/120 right away, or more if the fabric and machine allow it.

Double check that the attachment is securly in place, tight fitting scew, arm correctly on the needle clamp etc. Does it need oiling? The same for the feed dog cover.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 18:29:31 PM by arrow »

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 09:16:34 AM »
I played lots of YouTube vids yesterday in an effort to help me understand what was going on, and went home last night determined to tackle it, as I love the buttonholes made by this buttonholer.

Firstly, I took off the feed dog cover I'd been using, it has been doing the job, but now it isn't.  I found that the cover which came with the buttonholer was the right one, I just wasn't fitting it correctly.  I also took the needle out, guess what? It was actually bent from catching the feed cover.  Needle replaced, time to try it out.

It worked well, but something was still niggling me, the needle is still off centre.  So, top of the machine came off, and after a few minutes of hard thinking, I remembered where the adjustment screw was - it's at the back of the machine, and access is through a little hole.  It was made a tad more difficult, because I was working from the front, and instinctively turned the screw the wrong way.

Eventually, it was done, and it makes such a difference!  The needle is centred, and it moves to the right and left as it should!

Sorted!

Thank you all so much for your helpful suggestions!

Jessie

arrow

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 17:38:43 PM »
Nice to hear you have sorted it out. Since you use and like your 611g, I hope you find the correct feed dog cover plate for it. A full set of throat plates is handy for jobs like this. You managed to find all the chain stitch accessories didn't you?