The Sewing Place

I turned a sheet into a sheet

Vezelay

I turned a sheet into a sheet
« on: September 08, 2018, 12:56:11 PM »
Not terribly exciting I know but king-size 100% cotton fitted sheets cost a fortune round here and I wouldn't mind but however carefully you wash and dry them they shrink. So you end up with oversize double fitted sheets which you don't need - they make expensive muslin fabric!

So I took an old double flat cotton sheet that's already been washed a few dozen times and turned it into a king-size fitted sheet - lots of online advice for this. The sewing bit was easy, it was all the measuring and threading elastic that took time. I'll spare you the photo - you all know what a fitted sheet looks like  :)

Only problem is I realised after that this was the sheet we take with us on holiday for use with double beds :[. Ah well, I suppose it's cheaper to buy a new flat sheet  :\.

Lowena

Re: I turned a sheet into a sheet
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 16:28:53 PM »
Why do you take your own sheets on holiday? If it's not an intrusive question  @Vezelay  -<
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Fiona M

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 16:42:08 PM »
Why do you take your own sheets on holiday? If it's not an intrusive question  @Vezelay  -<
Lots of people do, including my in laws.  The first thing MIL does when she arrives is to strip the bed and put her own bedlinen on it.  She also washes and dries it all before taking it back home!

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 16:58:08 PM »
Even in 5* hotels??????
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Vezelay

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 17:28:17 PM »
@Lowena I just happen to like sleeping in 100% cotton, especially the bottom sheet and pillowcase. My skin is sensitive to synthetics - I can put up with polycotton for a weekend but if it's longer I take my own. DH always has to take a light duvet as well so we go well stocked with bedding  :). And we have to remove any of those waterproof (for me) or padded (for him) mattress protectors so we take an undersheet too just in case. Quite a business isn't it! We don't mention this to our hosts in case they think we're odd - which is probably true  :|

annieg

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 18:52:45 PM »
I'm with you on  bringing your own bedding @Vezelay

crafter

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 19:50:37 PM »
Me too, including duvet and pillow.  Pack them one of those plastic bags that you suck the air out of and no problems.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 20:13:43 PM »
Oh heck no on taking my own bed linens. I'm like Francesca on that. It either makes you appreciate what you've got at home or sends you out shopping for new bedding later. I do bring my pillow, a down and feather number, but I have issues in my neck and need it propped just so to sleep at all. And my teddy bear, TB, might go along on all road trips. cough. Or not.  ;)

I was thoroughly confused by how on earth you could get a flat double bed sheet to cover a king size bed. Then I remembered we don't really speak the same language across the board. Looked up UK vs. US bed sizes. Oh. Your King is our Queen. You couldn't do that here, you'd need a Queen flat sheet and it would cost the same as the King, so so close that it wouldn't be worth the effort.

I do buy the occasional clearance sale King sheet to turn into pillowcases. On sale I can get a sheet cheaper than a pair of standard cases. why....

Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 20:42:25 PM »
I also have to sleep in pure cotton.   We've been lucky when we go away but we're fussy where we go and generally try to find out.  I do have problems with pillows so if we're self catering or traveling by car I take my own as I have real problems sleeping.  I often take a lightweight duvet too @Vezelay as we are always too hot.  Why oh why do hotels insist on giving you a winter weight quilt even in the height of summer?   We don't have anything over a 4.5 tog in the middle of winter!   Even in the Maldives we had a thick quilt! :o :o

Vezelay

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 20:59:28 PM »
I'm pleased to discover here that we're not the only ones smuggling our bedding into holiday lets  0_0. We rarely stay in hotels but the odd time we do yes, it's essential to replace their 15 tog duvet with our 4.5 (which has the added bonus of its own handy pure cotton cover). They must be catering for the same foreign visitors you can see wandering around in padded coats in the height of the our summer  :).

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 14:10:54 PM »
I always take my memory foam pillow and a pillowcase ... which is obviously not the Hotels so they dont swipe it when changing the bed.

At FOQ it was a lime green one @Lowena
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

sewingj

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 16:44:25 PM »
We don`t take sheets but do take a memory foam mattress topper because we like soft mattresses and most hotel beds are too firm for us.  It`s actually very annoying when we arrive on holiday and discover the mattress is soft and we realise we don`t need the topper after all!

All of you taking so much bedding must have much bigger cars than us!

I have one friend who insists on washing the cups and saucers before she uses the tea/coffee making facilities in a hotel.  She looked really worried when we asked what she does when she goes for a drink in a pub! 

Me, I like to live dangerously
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 18:18:45 PM by sewingj »

Catllar

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 21:25:00 PM »
How do you manage with your mattress topper and memory pillows etc on a plane with restrictions?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !