The Sewing Place

Need to make trousers for 10yo boy. Will need your help!

crafter

Need to make trousers for 10yo boy. Will need your help!
« on: June 18, 2018, 15:15:51 PM »
So, as the wedding approaches, all sorts of ideas coming up. 

My 10 year old grandson is going to be the ring bearer.  Not usually a problem, very nice, he's thrilled.

So I need to procure a pair of grey trousers (I will also do a waistcoat but that will be easier).  I have tried to make them before - even drafting the pattern myself but they always turn out wrong.  He wears jogging bottoms all the time and we will have to sort this problem out when he goes to secondary school next year anyway.

Legs are long and slim (I call him "lovely legs") but the stomach is huge.

Should I try to adapt a bought pattern, or try again to draft them, possibly might help if I drape rather than draft.  Can anyone give me any tips?  Happy to go with an elasticated waist but this leaves the bum baggy.

Ploshkin

Re: Need to make trousers for 10yo boy. Will need your help!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 16:33:18 PM »
If he doesn't usually wear 'trousers' is it worth the hassle of making them especially if you haven't got a go to pattern.  I think I'd be inclined to pop along to Tesco or Asda and get a pair and concentrate my efforts on a fab waistcoat.
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 16:43:30 PM »
I'm just starting the journey for boys trousers - Theo is not yet one, but they do have tummies just like young girls.

For Theo's christening I have done a Franken pattern of a Simplicity Romper pattern - again no good to you.

The trouser company I would recommend is Jalie.  I had a great pattern off them for Lilya, they are elasticated but, in a sports pants kind of way: no ruching just a smooth finish.  I'm sure they do something for boys.

The other couple of suggestions: have a look at the Small Dream Factory, lovely free patterns for boys as well, and Ottobre magazine for kids - have a look online for these.

Hope this helps,

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 16:48:09 PM »
Sorry, just checked and the Small Dream Factory are only small sizes.

I'll have another look later

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Gemma

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 22:21:53 PM »
I've used these for my nearly ,4 year old several times - they're elasticated at the back only and look really smart on him.
pattern

mammafairy

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 22:26:01 PM »
Boys trousers I have made have been for costumes, more than event wear, the most difficult bit to get right is the crotch, I find Burda patterns work well, you have to grit your teeth and believe the instructions! They look confusing but usually if you just follow them they work. I like to visualise what the instruction means, but this is not always easy...

http://www.burdastyle.co.uk/product/boys-pleated-trousers-12-2012-159/881794 goes to age 10 (140cm)

Really though- buy a pair!

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 22:41:03 PM »
Do you really think it's going to be worth your time and energy making a pair when he's most likely only going to wear them the once. Have a look in M&S and see what you think before you commit to making him some.

WendyW

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 01:52:42 AM »
I'd be reluctant to put that much effort into something likely to be only worn once. In the US, men's and boy's wedding clothing is usually rented. The shops have all the sizes and will adjust the hems as needed.

crafter

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 15:55:08 PM »
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions ladies.

Unfortunately, we are not just talking about a tummy here.  My grandson is fat.  There, I've said it.  I have a pair of swimming trunks (woven not stretchy) that I am going to chop about, add length, gusset the waist and see if I can up with a toile.  If I can get that right I can then wizz up the outfit in a day or two.  Far quicker than traipsing around the shops, which are 30 miles away anyway. I am aiming for elasticated back, which is a bit young for a 10 year old but the waistcoat (hopefully) will cover the waistband.

Wish me luck.

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 16:13:08 PM »
Awww, poor lad!  Sounds like you have a plan though Crafter.

I was looking at the Jalie skating pattern, and Jalie's patterns go across a lot of sizes.  Could that work?  I feel for the lad.  I've had weight issues in my life, and I used to dread 'events'.

Hope you manage something.

Jessie

mammafairy

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 16:58:01 PM »
What a shame BHS has gone! They used to do an elasticated waist smart trouser for just exactly that.
Good luck with the project.

jesster

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 19:49:03 PM »
Just a thought:  is Lekala an option?  They have a few trouser patterns for boys that might provide a starting point and measurements can be entered for size.

Lyn-J

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 21:49:16 PM »
Good Luck with your project @crafter, I use Ottobre patterns for kids, but it souns as if you may already have a solution.

crafter

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 22:26:32 PM »
Awww, poor lad!  Sounds like you have a plan though Crafter.

I was looking at the Jalie skating pattern, and Jalie's patterns go across a lot of sizes.  Could that work?  I feel for the lad.  I've had weight issues in my life, and I used to dread 'events'.

Hope you manage something.

Jessie

Don't stress about him.  He knows the solution but wont listen.  We are a family who have always had weight problems.  If someone is in a slim era, you just know they have been starving themselves.  In fact, on my first date with my husband, I fainted in the ladies through lack of food in the previous week pending the first date, and someone had to go and get him.  Embarrassing but he still married me!

From previous experience from the lads in the family, at about 10/11 a growth spurt takes place and suddenly they go up and in.  Living in hope as I would not like him to go up to college at a fatty.

crafter

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 22:30:09 PM »
Just a thought:  is Lekala an option?  They have a few trouser patterns for boys that might provide a starting point and measurements can be entered for size.

Looks like this is a possibility for at least a basic pattern which fits.  Hopefully, I can get him to keep still long enough to measure him tomorrow.  Unlikely, its his birthday.  Thanks.