Entry No 9 - Sakar
40 (31.5%)
Entry No 10 - BlueCat
34 (26.8%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Voting closed: September 05, 2018, 01:49:15 AM

Refashion, Recycle & Upcycle Competition - the voting thread

Manuela

And the voting starts - everyone has 2 votes, voting is open for 10 days. Given the amazing creativity shown by our members, this is not an easy task.

:drink:   :vintage:   :snip:  Happy voting    :snip:  :vintage:   :drink:

Entry No 1 - Beepbeepsew

Here is my entry, I bought these 2 tops from a charity shop.

They are both 100% cotton and I thought they would make a pretty vintage style dress and apron for my toddler niece. Here's what I  came up with..

I kept some features from both garments.  The dress has the button placket, the slight hi-lo hem and slits in the side seams from the original shirt.  The apron has retained all of the lace detail and pin tucks from the front of the original blouse and made a feature of the wider lace.  I did add some new (from stash) plain cotton to face the bodice with.  There was plenty of fabric for the flounce and bias binding.

I drafted my own bodice based on my toddler, but he's a bit older - I did make it a bit smaller than his measurements but I feel it will still be a bit big for my niece.  However, I am really pleased with the result!  Goes to show that you don't always need to start with new fabric to dress the small ones.

There are clickable larger pics here should you wish to see a rambling blog post about them.

Enty No 2 - Lachica

I bought a shirt for DH but it was too small round the tummy & I left it too long to return for refund. So GD will be getting a sundress. The Palmer/Pletsch Serger Idea Book expains flatlocking then threading shirring elastic through the back as a quick way to shirr. So I've been playing.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The shirring did work, although I'm not sure it was any quicker than the conventional method. Flatlocking 8 rows was quick except where the looper thread snapped-several times- due, I think to the high tension. It smoothed out nicely leaving neat rows of vertical stitches. Threading the elastic through was a faff, largely because I used narrow (2mm) flat elastic rather than shirring elastic. My ancient reel of shirring elastic looked manky when I found it and it was probably perished. I added straps crossed at the back with a stitch to hold them in place. I used clear crimp-on poppers on the front with a red heart shaped button stitched on top. It came out slightly big, I might pull the elastic up a bit more if my daughter thinks it's needed.

Entry No 3 - Renita's first entry

I've finally managed to get some photos of the refashioned dress-to-top I worked on a few days ago.  The photos on the left are the 'befores' - my problems with the original included straps that sat too wide for my narrow shoulders and a flare at my midriff that made my stomach look much larger than my bosom.  That may be accurate  :'(, but I'd rather keep that amongst us and, as a sewer, I should be able to enhance or hide as required...

I've kept the fullness and length of the original skirt (no hemming, yay!)  The fullness has been folding into an inverted pleat at the back and into two unsewn darts/pleats at the front neckline.  I used the midriff band on the original and turned it upside-down to use it as a yoke at the back, to eke out a bit of extra length.  It now has a high-low hemline that I like and the unsewn darty-pleats at the front add a nice bit of fullness that my chest can use...

It's lined with a greenish cotton, the former lining of another sun-dress that has seen better days.  So, 100% recycled fabric. 

The full length 'after' photo shows the new top with some new wool crepe pants, also finished this week and a likely candidate for my SWAKOP, and my new sun-hat, another refashion made today.  I'll post that one next.

Entry No 4 - Renita's second entry

Here's another refashion that I worked on today.  I need a sunhat for a charity lawn bowling day on Sunday - it might be mid-winter here, but it's still in the mid-20s Cel. and very sunny most days.

The original is hardly a fashion item, but I did wear it twice - it was part of a medieval outfit I used to wear while demonstrating hand-spinning at an annual medieval fair.  It's a very weird hood thing, but made of a lovely bit of linen that I can't bear to see wasted.

I actually had my eyes on the dark brown linen dress that I used to wear with it, but this hood fell out when I took the other out of storage and looked the perfect colour for a sunhat.

I also raided the stash for something suitable for the lining and found a pretty paisley fabric.

The pattern I found is reversible, so I can wear either side out.  It's free and can be found here.  I used the small size for the crown and modified the brim to make it more flared and about 2 cm wider so I get better sun coverage. 

The original hood is shown below on the left, both on and off my head.  The lower, centre picture shows the pattern pieces with the remains of the hood and the remaining pictures show the finished hat, both inside and out.

I'm very happy with the results - much more wearable than the original!

Entry No 5 - Greybird

This was my charity shop skirt. I used the top from M6755, but I didn't use the facings and instead of making the button overlap on the back I used satin binding on the neck edge and just left an opening with a button closure. The sleeves were extended downwards enough to take advantage of the lace edging.  I used the lining, which was black, not navy to make a separate slip top to go underneath. I did the seams with the overlocker, the original had run and fell seams which I thought were too bulky. After much deliberation I cut off all the "whiskery" bits on the lace edging. I really didn't like them and prefer it without. I'm quite pleased with it - it's turned out better than things I have put loads of effort and expense into!

Entry No 6 - Sewruthiesews' 1st entry

I've finished a refashion project.
3 years ago I decided to try the Kirsten Kimono tee, and I made a dress based on the pattern.

The dress was OK and I wore it a few times, but it was overall fairly light being made up of black, white and pale pink stripes.

I overdyed it with a burgundy colour, which did not dye the black or white, but turned the pale pink into a deep rich burgundy. I liked it better but it still did not get worn very much.

I thought I would wear a t shirt more than the dress, so I shortened it and added sleeves cut from the lower section of the skirt.

A fairly successful refashion!

Entry No 7 - Sewruthiesews' 2nd entry

I'm on a refashioning roll
In May 2013 I made a jersey dress which was part of my SWAP 2013.

I wore it quite a bit. It shrank a bit. I chopped the upper bodice off and made it into a skirt which I didn't wear much.

I decided I would enjoy it more as a top. So I whipped out New Look 6735 and cut the front and back from the front and back of the skirt. There were only funny shapes left so the sleeves and neckband are from a plain black viscose jersey fabric.

I did have enough fabric for some print cuffs, but I pinned them in place and didn't like the effect so stayed with the 3/4 length sleeves as per the pattern.

This works well with the charcoal and teal pieces so some progress on my SWAKOP.

Entry No 8 - Mr Twingo

Here's my entry. Turning a duvet cover into a pair of bedroom curtains. Not as adventurous as some entries, but look carefully and you'll see I have succeeded in pattern matching  :P

The cover came from Ikea and has the name Rosenfibbla. The wife wanted curtains to match the bedding, so I bought a second cover, some lining, and a few metres of curtain header, and worked my magic. We were both pleased with the result.

Before:

After:

Entry No 9 - Sakar

So, my entry for this contest is finished now  :D
I may proudly present... my "new" guitar bag :D

The frontside with one of the most wonderful churches in the world (in my mind ;)) and a big zipper, where some sheets of music or a small folder can be put in.

On the backside I have added 2 small pockets on the top for the guitar-tuner and 1 big pocket in the middle to hide some straps.

On the sides I have added some decorative stitches in same colour as the main-zipper and a silver cording.

There are several ways of carrying the bag:

1st: Top handle (to get it out of the car)

2nd: front handlebar (there is another one on the backside on the same position)

3rd: side handlebar (and yes, my DH is already wearing some trousers for the next recycling project  0_0)

4th: use the hidden straps to carry it as a backpack

And last but not least, I have sewn the church and the cording in reflecting material, because I often have to go by bicycle especially in wintertimes. Safety first  :P

So in the end: who can say to have a guitar bag from Levi Strauss at home?  :D :P

Entry No 10 - BlueCat

Finally managed to take some photos of my bags for this challenge

Items going into the mix were a past-it’s-best red leather tote bag, a home made skirt (never worn), a cushion cover and an old cotton top.

First item to emerge was a mid sized tote bag with a couple of slip pockets inside.

Second was a cross-body bag with outer zipped pocket and 2 inner slip pockets. The gold embroidery was machined on, and a handmade tassel and bag charm added.

Finally, had enough bits left to make a wallet. It has a zippered pouch for coins, slots inside for credit cards and notes, and an exterior pocket for a mobile.

The bag linings were made from the cotton top and cushion, and the zips and handles were all re-used from the original bag. The only ‘new’ things used were the magnetic snap fasteners and the butterfly ‘button’ which I already had.

So, 3 useful items which cost me nothing.  0_0
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 01:56:19 AM by Manuela »