The Sewing Place

Refashion, Upcycle & Recycle Competition

Sakar

Re: Refashion, Upcycle & Recycle Competition
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2018, 14:14:08 PM »
 Well then  0_0, I can start with showing you the project's equipment:

2 old trousers from DH and my guitar, which is waiting desperately for a new bag :)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 00:32:39 AM by Manuela »

Lachica

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2018, 20:52:10 PM »
Edited to add: this is my competition entry. I'm unable to add photos of the original shirt as an edit so refer to first post for pix please.

@beepbeepsew the shirring did work, although I'm not sure it was any quicker than the conventional method. Flatlocking 8 rows was quick except where the looper thread snapped-several times- due, I think to the high tension. It smoothed out nicely leaving neat rows of vertical stitches. Threading the elastic through was a faff, largely because I used narrow (2mm) flat elastic rather than shirring elastic. My ancient reel of shirring elastic looked manky when I found it and it was probably perished. I added straps crossed at the back with a stitch to hold them in place. I used clear crimp-on poppers on the front with a red heart shaped button stitched on top. It came out slightly big, I might pull the elastic up a bit more if my daughter thinks it's needed.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 23:34:21 PM by Manuela »
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Manuela

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2018, 00:34:46 AM »
@Sakar  - this looks like a great project  :)
I edited your post to have the picture embedded into the text, that makes it easier for me later when I put up the voting thread  ;)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 00:36:24 AM by Manuela »

beepbeepsew

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2018, 12:55:10 PM »
@Lachica It's turned out lovely!

Manuela

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2018, 14:13:37 PM »
@Lachica - is this your entry for the competition? Sorry if I'm asking an obvious question  :)

Lachica

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2018, 19:37:05 PM »
@Manuela yes, have I posted it in the wrong place? Or was I supposed to do something else?

I've edited my posts to say it's my entry, howeve the edit function doesn't allow the posting of extra photos.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 19:45:05 PM by Lachica »
Mary

Manuela

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2018, 22:08:50 PM »
@Manuela yes, have I posted it in the wrong place? Or was I supposed to do something else?

I've edited my posts to say it's my entry, howeve the edit function doesn't allow the posting of extra photos.

Don't worry, you posted it in the right place - just didn't mention that this is your entry

Lachica

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2018, 22:10:27 PM »
Thanks @Manuela
Mary

Fabric Lover

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2018, 16:45:45 PM »
It’s lovely Mary, good job!
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Greybird

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2018, 20:36:24 PM »
I didn't think I was going to have time for this, but  might just squeeze something in. I found a skirt for £2.99 in the Oxfam shop yesterday. It's size 18 and pleated so it has loads of fabric in it. I think I shall just make a top from it - hopefully in time for the competition!

It's a darker navy than it looks in the picture.

Greybird

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2018, 20:38:15 PM »
Oops! I seem to have got the same picture twice - try again.

renita

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2018, 00:19:45 AM »
That is a beautiful skirt @Greybird - lots of potential there.

Lovely entries from @beepbeepsew and @Lachica - both are so sweet.

I've had a dress that's been languishing in the cupboard since I bought it while on a trip to the USA probably three years ago.  I've never worn it out of the house and if I'm brave enough to post the before pictures of me wearing it, it will probably be obvious why.  When I saw this sew-along, I thought this was the perfect opportunity to salvage the fabric - a brown tribal sort of print - and finally turn it into something I can wear.

I took some pictures both on and off me before I hacked it to bits and I've since had a go at converting it to a top, just like @Greybird and @mudcat's plans.  Much happier with it now.  Will try to take some after pics soon and then post them all together.

Thanks for the motivation to finally take some action.  I'm going to search the house for other candidates.

Manuela

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2018, 00:36:19 AM »
I love a bit of lace @Greybird , looking forward to your entry.

@renita - great that you got inspiration here, and welcome to The Sewing Place  :)

mudcat

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2018, 06:54:26 AM »
wrong thread

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 06:59:23 AM by mudcat »

Greybird

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2018, 09:26:15 AM »
@Manuela it was your recent lovely lace dresses that "tuned me in" to lace and made me notice this skirt in the first place. I might otherwise have walked past it!