The Sewing Place

Refashion, Upcycle & Recycle Competition

Greybird

Re: Refashion, Upcycle & Recycle Competition
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2018, 10:07:22 AM »
OK - finished it. This was my charity shop skirt. I used the top from M6755, but I didn't use the facings and instead of making the button overlap on the back I used satin binding on the neck edge and just left an opening with a button closure. The sleeves were extended downwards enough to take advantage of the lace edging.  I used the lining, which was black, not navy to make a separate slip top to go underneath. I did the seams with the overlocker, the original had run and fell seams which I thought were too bulky. After much deliberation I cut off all the "whiskery" bits on the lace edging. I really didn't like them and prefer it without. I'm quite pleased with it - it's turned out better than things I have put loads of effort and expense into!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 12:28:17 PM by Manuela »

Greybird

« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2018, 10:12:03 AM »
Well that wasn't supposed to happen! I'll have another go at getting the other pictures in - that one isn't worth looking at 4 times!

« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 10:16:34 AM by Acorn »

Greybird

« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2018, 10:14:07 AM »
@Manuela - HELP! I am having such a problem with this - I am putting 4 different pictures on but with the result you can see!

Acorn

« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2018, 10:18:10 AM »
When you add a second picture (and all subsequent ones) make sure you click on '(more attachments)' and don't go straight for the 'browse' button again, because that will replace the picture you've just added.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Greybird

« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2018, 10:41:39 AM »
Aaaah! Got it - thank you! I'll give it another try. Apologies everyone for the surplus!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Manuela

« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2018, 12:39:24 PM »
Great @Greybird, got them all  :)

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2018, 06:46:53 AM »
Greybird, Brilliant transformation!
That is absolutely beautiful. Love the way you made a lace top and a separate cami from the skirt.
Agree its better without the whiskery bits.

UttaRetch

« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2018, 20:03:23 PM »
@Greybird: that is spooky.  I tried on the very same skirt in my local charity shop.  If the waist was bigger, I would have bought it. 

Lachica

« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2018, 23:01:40 PM »
Lovely, very wearable and I like your idea of a separate cami rather than lining the top.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

BrendaP

« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2018, 00:08:35 AM »
The top looks much nicer than the original skirt.

I agree that you did the right thing by cutting off all the wispy bits at the bottom/edge of the lace.  That type of lace is made on very wide machines, so several widths of fabric, or dozens of narrow edgings, made together with 'ladders' (for want of a better word) between them and the finishing process separates the individual widths by cutting through those 'ladders'.  It always looks to me as though the edges haven't been trimmed properly.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Greybird

« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2018, 09:33:53 AM »
Thank you all. @UttaRetch this skirt was 2 sizes too big for me and would have come too close to showing my scarred knee so I wouldn't have even considered it as it was. It was Manuela's lovely lace dresses that made me notice it in the first place.

Sakar

« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2018, 11:19:38 AM »
Well done, greybird
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 15:26:42 PM by Manuela »

Manuela

« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2018, 15:28:16 PM »
@Sakar I edited your post to put the pictures into the text - that way it's easier for me to create the voting thread   :)

Manuela

« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2018, 08:25:04 AM »
It's gone quiet here, I hope that means everyone is busy sewing  ;)

Lachica

« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2018, 16:11:31 PM »
Nice new avatar @Manuela. You've taken your Photoshop lessons seriously.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.