The Sewing Place

Refashion, Upcycle & Recycle Competition

Manuela

Refashion, Upcycle & Recycle Competition
« on: June 19, 2018, 00:51:25 AM »
Welcome to TSP's Refashion, Upcycle & Recycle competition

July 1st - August 20th 2018

The aim of this contest is to use up anything that came from a second hand shop, something handed down to you, something you had in a cupboard for ages in order to do something with and forgot about, something that fitted you or liked once but not anymore, etc., you can make garments or accessories.
Take an item or items and create a new and different garment/accessories

Rules:
A photo of your "material" (the initial item or items) and another photo of the final garment must be included in your review. Additional pictures may also be included.

Your original items can be anything you want, but they may only be turned into garments or accessories to qualify as "new" items for this contest. The garment must be sewn. Self-drafted patterns or commercial patterns may be used; they may be previously used or new. More than one source can source item can be used to create the final product.

The "original" item or items must be changed substantially to create a new garment. The item can be of the same type (dress to dress) or something entirely different (tablecloth to dress). However, the new item must be distinctly different from the original (for example, embellishments only do not qualify).

At least half of the new item must be made from reconstructed / recycled items (notions such as zippers or interfacing do not count in the total).

Keep in mind that the new item(s) need to be significally different from the original souve item(s). Hence the following examples would not comply with the rules:
- hemming an old bridesmaid dress to make it a short cocktail dress.
- taking the sleeves off a blouse to make it a sleeveless blouse
- resizing a t-shirt to a smaller t-shirt

Sewing starts on July 1st and ends on August 20th. You can do preparation work (ripping seams, cutting, disassembling, etc.) before the start date.
Photos should be up by August 25th.

Make sure to post a 'before' picture together with your entry here. All entries should be posted by August 25th in this thread.

:vintage:    Happy sewing     :vintage:

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 00:53:53 AM by Manuela »

SewRuthieSews

Re: Refashion, Upcycle & Recycle Competition
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 07:09:52 AM »
Hi Manuela, sounds exciting. I have a jersey skirt that wants to be a top I'm guessing that would qualify?
(Am now looking at the stuff due to go for donation with a bit more interest!)

Lachica

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 08:19:17 AM »
Great Manuela, this is one competition I need to enter. I have a pile of 'like the fabric, too good to chuck' waiting for attention.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Manuela

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 08:32:22 AM »
@SewRuthieSews , that definitely qualifies  :)

Samantha

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 13:46:43 PM »
This sounds very interesting. My most successful refashioning was a hideous child's 1980s bridesmaid dress into a flamingo out fit for me! 

I'll have to try and do something after I get back from holiday. Of course I wil have to start scanning the charity shops for something to transform now  :D

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 14:25:31 PM »
My mum made an olde tyme outfit for some play she was in, from my aunt's drawing room curtains. They were gold, shiney and heavy as anything. She even covered a picture hat to match!
I'm looking forward to the results of this challenge.  8)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 17:00:00 PM »
I am determinedly NOT going to buy anything to refashion rather only allow myself to do things with the stuff I already have in the house.
And then on August 21st anything which didn't actually get sorted out can go to the charity shop - we shall see how realistic this is or not!

mudcat

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 04:03:23 AM »
I have a skirt that I only wore a few times (the bottom has a 5" band that was not a good match weight wise for the upper part of the skirt) that I was planning to make a sleeveless top out of eventually.  Now I have incentive. 

This is the skirt option form the Sewing Workshop eDress paired with SW Ann's tank.  I wore the top a lot and it's worn out now but I still like the fabric (from EOS) so making another one from the skirt will be perfect.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 04:06:24 AM by mudcat »

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 09:51:39 AM »
Hmm, I have a red t-shirt bought because I liked the logo/picture on it, but it turned out to be a man's fit, so huge on the shoulders and tight on the hips.  I need to somehow use the front picture, but I don't really know why I chose red!  I'd thought about putting it with lots of black jersey panels/blocks, that might work.  In fact, yes, I'm sure I've got some black jersey...

Helen M

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 13:27:21 PM »
I have a sleeveless dress with a twist at the waist that I love the print of but everytime I wear it (not that often) I feel it's just a tad short. Maybe the one occasion I should have bought the regular size rather than the petite version as it's knee length. It would make a T shirt shaped top but maybe I'll look for something else.  -< I won't chop it up until I find the right pattern.

I've taken the picture as is before I forget if I need it!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 18:33:16 PM »
Helen M taking the before pictures is a very sensible thing to do, then when inspiration stripes you can just go ahead with whatever you want to do.
I have put several things to one side for refashioning. We will have to see if anything happens with them!

Tamnymore

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 18:43:30 PM »
What a good idea. I took apart a pair of flowery varuna wool trousers (too smll but too nice to give to charity shop) and have cut it into pieces for a new top which I have cut out but not started sewing. Sadly I did not take a photo of the trousers so I can't officially enter and I doubt I'll finish it this summer but I'm with you all in spirit on this one!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

beepbeepsew

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 11:03:53 AM »
I am off charity shopping tomorrow to hopefully find something to enter with.  Will have to see what 'speaks' to me, if anything lol x

BlueCat

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2018, 16:15:06 PM »
Sounds a lovely interesting project.  Could the final item be a bag, as it would be classed as an accessory?

Manuela

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2018, 23:16:07 PM »
Sounds a lovely interesting project.  Could the final item be a bag, as it would be classed as an accessory?

Yes @BlueCat , bags definitely count as accessories.

Has anybody started sewing yet?