The Sewing Place

Refashion, Upcycle & Recycle Competition

Greybird

Re: Refashion, Upcycle & Recycle Competition
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2018, 09:35:44 AM »
I can't wait to see the entries for this. I would love to have taken part but I am up to my ears in wedding sewing so I shan't have time. I am hoping to be inspired!

beepbeepsew

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2018, 16:17:22 PM »
I started sewing for this today.  I am refashioning a cotton shirt into a dress for my toddler niece as it's her birthday in a couple of weeks.  I was already planning on making her a frock, but now she'll be getting two! lol

I have a second shirt that I thought would make a little apron for over the top of it, but I'm not sure about it now that the dress is coming together...

Mr Twingo

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2018, 10:24:54 AM »
I think an old Ikea duvet cover converted into curtains counts, even though the lining and heading were new.

Once I an find a way to link to pictures on Google Photos, I'll post pics.

beepbeepsew

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2018, 12:18:37 PM »
Here is my entry, I bought these 2 tops from a charity shop.

They are both 100% cotton and I thought they would make a pretty vintage style dress and apron for my toddler niece. Here's what I  came up with..

I kept some features from both garments.  The dress has the button placket, the slight hi-lo hem and slits in the side seams from the original shirt.  The apron has retained all of the lace detail and pin tucks from the front of the original blouse and made a feature of the wider lace.  I did add some new (from stash) plain cotton to face the bodice with.  There was plenty of fabric for the flounce and bias binding.

I drafted my own bodice based on my toddler, but he's a bit older - I did make it a bit smaller than his measurements but I feel it will still be a bit big for my niece.  However, I am really pleased with the result!  Goes to show that you don't always need to start with new fabric to dress the small ones.

There are clickable larger pics here should you wish to see a rambling blog post about them.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2018, 17:18:03 PM »
Nice work beepbeepsew. I have stashed a few items away for recycling but am busy at work and just flopping in the evenings due to the heat.

Sakar

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2018, 20:44:23 PM »
 Well done, beepbeepsew  0_0 Your niece is really lucky to have somebody in the family, who can create such wonderful things for her!!

I wondered to use some old denim trousers from DH to sew a new bag for my guitar. Would that go with this competition?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 03:28:43 AM by Sakar »

Manuela

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2018, 23:18:32 PM »
Well done @beepbeepsew we have our first entry, yay

Manuela

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2018, 23:28:21 PM »
I think an old Ikea duvet cover converted into curtains counts, even though the lining and heading were new.

Once I an find a way to link to pictures on Google Photos, I'll post pics.

@Mr Twingo here is how to do it:   
The first symbol on the left, above the smileys is the link pictures function

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

When you click it, this is inserted in the text:

Copy and past the link you want to insert into the

And you're all set

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2018, 01:25:48 AM »
@beepbeepsew that is adorable! She can always grow into it, so better a bit big than small.

@Manuela , goodbye Kitty?!?  :S

I'm kicking around ideas and double checked the end date for the contest. My neck & shoulders are not as painful so I think I can cut & sew soon.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Mr Twingo

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2018, 16:33:25 PM »
@Mr Twingo here is how to do it:   
The first symbol on the left, above the smileys is the link pictures function...

Alas, Google doesn't present links like that, so the tag doesn't work. Here's an example:

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM_sr7sGCeWvlCgStOVsouG75XfWLTn-4ozwRG0

I'll have to find a different way to do it.

Manuela

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 00:51:12 AM »
@Mr Twingo Iminei managed to use google to post pictures here. I clicked your link, but was asked to log in, that might be the problem. I don't use google, but is there an option of an open access album?

Sakar

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2018, 12:23:09 PM »
@Manuela
I wondered to use some old denim trousers from DH to sew a new bag for my guitar. Would that go with this competition?

Does that qualify for this competition? Then I would start, otherwise it would become my "Christmas-holiday-project"

Lachica

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2018, 13:41:59 PM »
I bought a shirt for DH but it was too small round the tummy & I left it too long to return for refund. So GD will be getting a sundress. The Palmer/Pletsch Serger Idea Book expains flatlocking then threading shirring elastic through the back as a quick way to shirr. So I've been playing.

Edited to add: this is my competition entry.

Photos of the finished dress are in a later post as I'm unable to add photos under the edit function.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 23:31:53 PM by Manuela »
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Manuela

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2018, 14:58:17 PM »
@Manuela
Does that qualify for this competition? Then I would start, otherwise it would become my "Christmas-holiday-project"
That definitely counts @Sakar  :)

beepbeepsew

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2018, 20:12:46 PM »
I love shirred things @Lachica , although I've never tried to actually do it.  Watching with interest :)