The Sewing Place

Refashion, Upcycle & Recycle Competition

Efemera

Re: Refashion, Upcycle & Recycle Competition
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2018, 09:33:13 AM »
Alas when you’re a size 20 already finding even bigger stuff to cut up is difficult, and finding compatible stuff is hard.

Manuela

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2018, 12:27:26 PM »
Alas when you’re a size 20 already finding even bigger stuff to cut up is difficult, and finding compatible stuff is hard.

@Efemera - it doesn't have to be garments though, you could make a bag, accessories, etc...

Acorn

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2018, 12:29:22 PM »
Size 10 denim miniskirts make very nice bags - and they often have ready made pockets!  I have converted several.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2018, 13:07:14 PM »
I have some things stashed away to be revisited, though not sure quite what I shall go for.

I have a jersey skirt with horizontal frills (not flattering) which could be a top.
A striped dress which could be a top
A dress which is too tight in the hips and too large in the bust, another top I suspect.

Sakar

« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2018, 22:15:44 PM »
@Manuela : do you want to see some progress shots too or shall I post only the finished result?

Manuela

« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2018, 23:36:09 PM »
@Sakar pictures of the originals to be refashioned and the result are enough. Feel free to post progress shots, we all love to ogle at pictures  :D

renita

« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2018, 09:28:47 AM »
I've finally managed to get some photos of the refashioned dress-to-top I worked on a few days ago.  The photos on the left are the 'befores' - my problems with the original included straps that sat too wide for my narrow shoulders and a flare at my midriff that made my stomach look much larger than my bosom.  That may be accurate  :'(, but I'd rather keep that amongst us and, as a sewer, I should be able to enhance or hide as required...

I've kept the fullness and length of the original skirt (no hemming, yay!)  The fullness has been folding into an inverted pleat at the back and into two unsewn darts/pleats at the front neckline.  I used the midriff band on the original and turned it upside-down to use it as a yoke at the back, to eke out a bit of extra length.  It now has a high-low hemline that I like and the unsewn darty-pleats at the front add a nice bit of fullness that my chest can use...

It's lined with a greenish cotton, the former lining of another sun-dress that has seen better days.  So, 100% recycled fabric. 

The full length 'after' photo shows the new top with some new wool crepe pants, also finished this week and a likely candidate for my SWAKOP, and my new sun-hat, another refashion made today.  I'll post that one next.

renita

« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2018, 09:39:28 AM »
Here's another refashion that I worked on today.  I need a sunhat for a charity lawn bowling day on Sunday - it might be mid-winter here, but it's still in the mid-20s Cel. and very sunny most days.

The original is hardly a fashion item, but I did wear it twice - it was part of a medieval outfit I used to wear while demonstrating hand-spinning at an annual medieval fair.  It's a very weird hood thing, but made of a lovely bit of linen that I can't bear to see wasted.

I actually had my eyes on the dark brown linen dress that I used to wear with it, but this hood fell out when I took the other out of storage and looked the perfect colour for a sunhat.

I also raided the stash for something suitable for the lining and found a pretty paisley fabric.

The pattern I found is reversible, so I can wear either side out.  It's free and can be found here.  I used the small size for the crown and modified the brim to make it more flared and about 2 cm wider so I get better sun coverage. 

The original hood is shown below on the left, both on and off my head.  The lower, centre picture shows the pattern pieces with the remains of the hood and the remaining pictures show the finished hat, both inside and out.

I'm very happy with the results - much more wearable than the original!

Vezelay

« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2018, 09:46:20 AM »
Oh, I wish I'd seen this thread before I cut up the 3 charity shop sundresses I bought to repurpose  :(. Nearly finished the first top.

I've used that sunhat pattern - three times - @renita, one from old jeans and a cushion cover. No use here of course as no pics of the originals. But a great little free pattern.

Manuela

« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2018, 11:39:02 AM »
Yay @renita, two entries  :D

Lachica

« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2018, 14:33:44 PM »
@renita lovely hat! Just what I need, but how do you download the pattern? Or is it just that the link won't talk to iPad?
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Manuela

« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2018, 14:39:35 PM »
@Lachica the link works for me - on an iPad mini  :)

Lachica

« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2018, 17:24:54 PM »
Thanks @Manuela will try again. I can't see a 'download' button.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Acorn

« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2018, 17:50:17 PM »
If you scroll down to point 3 there is a link to download a pdf of the pattern pieces.  I think the instructions are just on the website.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Efemera

« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2018, 20:38:03 PM »
I’ve downloaded it and put it in iBooks but the pattern is much smaller.