The Sewing Place

Refashion, Upcycle & Recycle Competition

Sakar

Re: Refashion, Upcycle & Recycle Competition
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2018, 14:17:59 PM »
Oh yes, you are right, this avatars is really nice :)

I am just finishing my bag  :D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 14:40:46 PM by Sakar »

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2018, 22:30:25 PM »
I've finished a refashion project.
3 years ago I decided to try the Kirsten Kimono tee, and I made a dress based on the pattern.

The dress was OK and I wore it a few times, but it was overall fairly light being made up of black, white and pale pink stripes.

I overdyed it with a burgundy colour, which did not dye the black or white, but turned the pale pink into a deep rich burgundy. I liked it better but it still did not get worn very much.

I thought I would wear a t shirt more than the dress, so I shortened it and added sleeves cut from the lower section of the skirt.

A fairly successful refashion!

Greybird

« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2018, 10:08:45 AM »
That looks really good. Who knew you could dye pink to burgundy whilst leaving white untouched?!

Manuela

« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2018, 11:43:40 AM »
Great refashion @SewRuthieSews .

Thank you for the comments on my avatar @Lachica and @Sakar - that was actually the first selfie I ever took (about 10 days ago). I spend an enjoyable couple of hours testing whether the Photoshop tutorial to create this effect is suitable for year 7 students - the avatar the the result.

Lachica

« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2018, 14:24:25 PM »
@Manuela in my experience most Yr 7s would have no trouble with photo manipulation. Following a tute though ......???
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Manuela

« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2018, 14:38:35 PM »
The majority of our kids have never worked with Photoshop, during the course they will create a piece of digital art, using a selfie, that describes their identity.
There is no way around tutorials, I have to make sure they are short and use the latest version. They are used to folllow tutorials for coding. Today thery were quite exited getting all the software onto their laptops.

renita

« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2018, 07:12:51 AM »
Nice transformation @SewRuthieSews.  It's sometimes hard to predict the outcome of overdyeing on blends - the white must be 100% poly to have stayed so nice and clean.

I'm sure we used to do something similar when I was working in the fabric industry - you could have an undyed base fabric with poly and cotton stripes, then achieve several different colourways just by dyeing the cotton portion - it was simple enough to clear any loose dye off the polyester during rinsing, since it's not interested in dyes for cotton.  It meant that the fabric mill could see what colour was most popular and dye more of it relatively quickly, rather than having to commit to the colour at the yarn stage, before knitting or weaving.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2018, 21:04:53 PM »
I'm on a refashioning roll
In May 2013 I made a jersey dress which was part of my SWAP 2013.

I wore it quite a bit. It shrank a bit. I chopped the upper bodice off and made it into a skirt which I didn't wear much.

I decided I would enjoy it more as a top. So I whipped out New Look 6735 and cut the front and back from the front and back of the skirt. There were only funny shapes left so the sleeves and neckband are from a plain black viscose jersey fabric.

I did have enough fabric for some print cuffs, but I pinned them in place and didn't like the effect so stayed with the 3/4 length sleeves as per the pattern.

This works well with the charcoal and teal pieces so some progress on my SWAKOP.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 21:14:34 PM by SewRuthieSews »

Lachica

« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2018, 22:51:39 PM »
Very nice. The contrast sleeves make it. Much better to have a garment that will actually be worn.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Manuela

« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2018, 00:17:06 AM »
Great, so far we have 6 entries.
There are still a couple of days left, and please post your entries in this thread by August 25th.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2018, 06:30:02 AM »
Great I might do another one next week then. It is quite good fun!

Mr Twingo

« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2018, 22:27:19 PM »
Here's my entry. Turning a duvet cover into a pair of bedroom curtains. Not as adventurous as some entries, but look carefully and you'll see I have succeeded in pattern matching  :P

The cover came from Ikea and has the name Rosenfibbla. The wife wanted curtains to match the bedding, so I bought a second cover, some lining, and a few metres of curtain header, and worked my magic. We were both pleased with the result.

Before:

After:

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2018, 22:54:02 PM »
Hey Mr Twingo, those look great!

Manuela

« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2018, 01:19:39 AM »
Great idea @Mr Twingo, I love how different all the entries are.

wrenkins

« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2018, 07:19:50 AM »
Pattern matching ✔ @Mr Twingo
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!