The Sewing Place

I still can't do it!

Lowena

I still can't do it!
« on: June 19, 2018, 10:03:13 AM »
I have been trying to square off some 12" blocks. I have a 6.5" square ruler and cant work out how to do it( it's the only square ruler I have )
I consider myself ok at most aspects of p/q but for the life of me I have never got the hang of squaring blocks or cutting straight  :| @Iminei  gave me the above mentioned ruler, complete with sandpaper dots on to stop it moving....but.....they don't!! :angry: I ruined a whole fat eighth because it slipped  :angry:
I cannot stand, bent over, for very long and often cut sitting down which doesn't help  :|
I think it'll be pre cuts from now on...but.....his doesn't help with squaring.........give me a foolproof method please  :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Greybird

Re: I still can't do it!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 10:07:31 AM »
I'm the last person to ask about anything dark, but I have just caught up with Frixion pens - how wonderful they are! Maybe drawing a line with one of those along your ruler would be quicker than cutting and you might be able to do it before it slips? Just a thought.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 10:10:46 AM »
Frixion pens are a great idea GB, but I would use them on the wrong side of the fabric.  I've just done two cushions and slight marks are slightly visible, even after several ironings.

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 10:16:05 AM »
I do use frixion pens  :'( It's the cutting that's the problem.....and yes, I do change my rotary blade frequently.

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 10:51:51 AM »
For stopping slipping, I have found these dots, which are rubbery rather than rough, work very well indeed.

For squaring up, I'm at a bit of a loss unless I have a square of just the right size, in which case it becomes easy.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Kad

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 10:55:21 AM »
How about cutting a square of the required size from freezer paper.
Put a few markings on it to allow for lining up with seams etc and iron it onto your block, you could then cut with fabric shears following the paper square as a guide.
Not a recognised method, but might save your sanity  <3
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 12:04:27 PM »
^  That's a good idea - and you can put your ruler on top of the paper to do the cutting.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 13:23:36 PM »
Thanks girls, I don't have fabric scissors or shears @Kad  as i only use a rotary cutter for p/q and don't do any other sewing. I tried making a square block of the correct size as a template but it all went horribly wrong when I cut into it  :'(

Greybird

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 14:51:37 PM »
I hesitate to say this - but maybe you could cut straighter with scissors?

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 16:47:16 PM »
Sorry to hear you're still having trouble hon ....

But using a 6 1/2" sq (did I really give you that, I remember a ruler but didn't think it was that size)

To square up to 12 1/2" unfinished you would place the 6 1/4" line down the centre of your block ... and if you have a 45 degree angle try and align that from the centre to the corner of your block.

Maybe at FOQ you could treat yourself to a 12 1/2" square ruler ?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

rubywishes

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 00:23:26 AM »
@Lowena  for goodness sake, treat yourself to a bigger square ruler! You deserve it to make things so much easier for you  <3 If I can throw caution, bank balance, the need to eat and pay bills out of my mind and out the window and treat myself (Stripology Ruler) then so can you!! And you've got the FOQ coming up haven't you? There's bound to be a bargain had. :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 00:28:53 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 09:44:55 AM »
Glad your @ worked @rubywishes so I would be alerted to your concern  :D
I know I should do better than a gifted small ruler...but..... they are such a high price that I can't bring myself to buy one  :| I don't think they do "sale prices" at the FOQ but I'll keep my eyes open for a bargain;) Trouble is, I worry that I might pay out big bucks and still not be able to work out how to do it  :| :|