The Sewing Place

Knicker making

Ellabella

Knicker making
« on: June 19, 2018, 10:20:40 AM »
Years ago, on the old forum, someone put a link to a knicker making video.

It was in Spanish, but very understandable.

I've just found loads of lingerie elastic in the stash and fancy knocking out a few pairs, just for fun.

Any ideas girls?

b15erk

Re: Knicker making
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 10:24:07 AM »
I don't remember a Spanish one EB, but there was a really good American one.  Will have a root around my saved vids.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 10:34:43 AM »
How about this: Marina Brumpton Free Knickers

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

maliw

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 14:20:29 PM »
Deconstruct a pair of old ones that you like and use them for a pattern, I made some they were really easy and I wondered why I'd never done it before. I haven't made any since - they are on the 'to do' list.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 15:06:34 PM »
I am using old ones for a pattern but that video had a lovely way of doing the gusset.

Never mind if I think long enough I'll work it out.

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 15:18:53 PM »
Sorry Jessie, I see now that the Maria Brumpton vid does show doing the gusset, hangs head in shame.

Off to play.

WendyW

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 15:32:40 PM »
I started with tracing a pair that almost fit right, and making the necessary tweaks. Will never go back to storebought! It's so nice to wear ones that cover ALL the desired parts, not get surprised by which bits this new package will leave exposed.

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 15:39:45 PM »
I have the pattern for the Jennifer Lauren Nixie Briefs, and they are on my list of 'must do sometime' things.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 18:14:02 PM »
but that video had a lovely way of doing the gusset.
Is it what I think is called the burrito method where the main pieces are rolled up and stitched between the 2 gusset layers?
If so it's the same method as sandwiching front and back shirt pieces in a double layered yoke.  You might find something that demonstrates the technique on a shirt if you can't find knickers.
Life's too short for ironing.

rowe1311

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 19:53:39 PM »
I bought the Jalie pattern 2568 as I couldn't be bothered with making my own pattern, and really like it.  Here is a blog showing how to alter the Jalie pattern to have a sandwiched gusset instead of it being attached to the front piece.  https://sweetalchemy.wordpress.com/2014/04/08/jalie-2568-sewing-underwear/

And then this is a blog just showing the sandwiched method if you already have a pattern you like. 
http://verypurpleperson.com/2013/01/tutorial-sewing-panties/

Ellabella

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 22:38:44 PM »
Burrito/sandwich method sorted.

Don't know how I couldn't work it out myself :S

dolcevita

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 10:57:48 AM »
I'm very late to this, but there is a Columbian chap, Hugo Quili, with an entire Youtube channel on making skimpy lace undies.  It's Spanish speaking, so perhaps this might be the one that was originally posted.

Hugo Quili youtube

Ellabella

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 11:57:57 AM »
That's the chap @dolcevita, thank you.

But I must confess mine will need to be a little more substantial.

dolcevita

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 12:05:35 PM »
You're welcome!

The video for men's boxer shorts can be helpful.  I'm going to make my own version of some of the longer length Sloggi pants as I find these very good for avoiding chubrub on my thighs if I wear a dress on hot days.

Ploshkin

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2018, 12:01:51 PM »
@Ellabella  did you make your knickers?

I had a go yesterday as I wanted to sew but not start anything major and I had some left over jersey from tops.  I already had some lingerie elastic as I had been intending to have a go for a while.  I must say my knickers are a triumph (not a phrase I would use very often!)
I tried cutting up an old pair but the fabric was so twisted that it was impossible to use the pieces as a template.  I have the Watson bra pattern and I remembered it had knickers as well so I used that and compared the pattern pieces to a newish pair that I have.  I added half an inch round the top but otherwise cut as pattern.  I had a fair idea about the amount of stretch the elastic needed when attaching as I have done a few bras so I just went for it without measuring a length of elastic.  I tried them on and they were fine so I made a second pair.

I have just realised that I have been wearing one of the pairs today and not noticed them at all so they must be spot on.  Never again will I have left over pieces of jersey sitting around in a box.
Life's too short for ironing.