The Sewing Place

Tip if you’re looking for backing fabric

Sheilago

Tip if you’re looking for backing fabric
« on: April 02, 2020, 17:51:00 PM »
I was thinking ahead and looking for blue wide fabric to back my b.o.m quilt. I couldn’t see anything I liked.
 I then got an email from Dawsons’s Dept Store, from where I often get quilt covers, towels etc. I looked at their most discounted quilt covers and bought a 100% cotton double duvet cover ( V&A) for £14, which must be at least 4m of extra wide good quality fabric. There is free postage over £50  :D, so I just had to buy another different one for my stash, some towels for my daughter and a beach towel( ever hopeful we might get to even a chilly Scottish one this year!) Much better value than buying fabric by the metre and I’ve even got some buttons I could use on my knitted things.  0_0

Lowena

Re: Tip if you’re looking for backing fabric
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 18:36:51 PM »
@Sheilago I always use duvet covers or sheets as backing.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 19:00:40 PM »
When I hied over to Ikea with Puzzler earlier this year I spied the perfect backing fabric duvet cover on sale ... A double sided 100% cotton duvet cover with two pillowcases for £10 !!!!!!  :S

Thats 200cm x 200 cm x 2  ..... + two double sided pillowcases worth of fabric! Result!

The fabric is a bit thin, but perfectly adequate to back a less than heirloom quilt!

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

annieeg

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 12:50:09 PM »
@Sheilago
Thanks for the link to this shop - I could spend ages (and loads of money) on their website. ;)

Sheilago

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 13:11:28 PM »
You are welcome @annieeg . I buy all my bed linen there normally, but eventually realised that if you look for 100% cotton ones they’re great for quilt backs.  have also recently bought Polycotton double quilt covers to make scrubs with. You get 2 pairs per cover if you’re careful- i.e. 2 pairs for £12 if you look for covers with big discounts. You also get 2 pillowcases to use for quick scrub bags  :D.  Yesterday even made my granddaughter a pair of dungaree shorts with the left over bits!

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 13:53:24 PM »
I tried them @Sheilago and was very impressed.

I bought some super king sized sheets with a low thread count and they will be absolutely fine for quilt backs.

I was also very impressed with the speed of delivery especially in these times.

I’m certain I’ll be shopping there again.