The Sewing Place

Extension Table

Acorn

Extension Table
« on: June 19, 2018, 12:10:05 PM »
If you have been following my By the Sea project thread you may remember that I have three main machines, two of which have extension tables.  The third, is, of course, the one I want to do my quilting on, and I was reluctant to spend £70 - £80 on a third extension table.

Well, Mr Acorn has made me one, entirely from bits and pieces that we already had.  It even slopes perfectly in line with the gentle slope of the machine's free arm (1.8 degrees, so I am told).  It is brilliant.   :D

Here it is:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

BTW, I won't be using it in its current position - I will have plenty of table to the left of me when I'm actually quilting!

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Greybird

Re: Extension Table
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 12:33:19 PM »
What a clever man!

Elnnina

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 12:37:33 PM »
That is brilliant, clever Mr. Acorn.

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 14:53:17 PM »
Well he's a keeper, or perhaps you could look to hiring him out for a small fee.

maliw

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 15:19:38 PM »
That's excellent and a nice piece of wood. Just one question - would it help if the corners were rounded off slightly as these may just stop the fabric from gliding smoothly? Sorry I don't want to appear as if I'm finding fault.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 15:35:56 PM »
What you can't see from my pictures is that the front edge is curved, so where the fabric is passing through the machine from front to back there is nothing to grab it and stop it from moving smoothly.

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 16:40:45 PM »
I think Im going to leave this thread open when Imself gets back home ...

Thats just the sort of thing I need ... I find it easier to quilt with the machine as is, as my Janome ET catches the quilt terribly (probably to do with that 1.8 !!!)

Lucky you Acorn!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Nevis5

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 17:11:39 PM »
That's beautiful!  Lucky you  :toast:

wrenkins

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 19:20:29 PM »
Sometimes functional things are a bit  :\ but that is indeed a thing of beauty.  :loveit: Well done that man!  :toast:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

rubywishes

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 10:30:47 AM »
Oooooo that's very nice indeed! Very posh!
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 15:07:52 PM »
That's lovely Acorn.
I'm careful not to utter that I need something like that because DH is more than willing but I would end up with something of industrial strength, made with a chainsaw that needs a crane to lift it into place and 6" nails or massive coach bolts to hold it there.  DH doesn't do small, subtle or lightweight.
Life's too short for ironing.

crafter

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 15:44:32 PM »
"Honeybunch, come and look at this" ;)

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 16:48:17 PM »
 :)

@Ploshkin Mr Acorn is that way inclined, too.  Priority is always given to making sure that something will never, ever break or fail.  I was quite lucky with this that the available materials were ideal!  He did want to make it bigger, but I persuaded him that it was more important that I could pick it up.

Kenora

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 18:05:08 PM »
Looks great - your DH obviously listens to you, which appears to be a novelty in DH's. Mine was going to make me an ET from acrylic but got fell at the first hurdle of obtaining the stuff. :S I'm still waiting but fear it will be in vain.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 08:49:43 AM »
@MrIminei  ...  ;)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again