Would you..

UttaRetch

Re: Would you..
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2018, 19:17:41 PM »
FBA also needed.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 19:28:00 PM »
I understand the dark glasses. I like the buttons! :button: Lovely background. I'd just as soon forget the dress thank you.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Nevis5

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 20:27:07 PM »
Oh dear, maybe it's her first attempt at a dress.  She needs to look again at her photo though. 

Lyn-J

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2018, 21:42:17 PM »
We are not Sew-Shaming are we?  :'(

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2018, 03:36:17 AM »

No, not really, I don't think. Maybe a pinch, here and there. But from the original post this Sewist is part of the Minerva Crafts Blogger Network. They have it looks like about 50. "The people we've chosen for the Minerva Crafts Blogger Network represent a cross-section of crafting stars!" it says. They make up wish lists and each month receive items from their personal wish list in exchange for making up the item, sewn, knit, what have you and doing a post about it for Minerva to use as a sales tool. Apparently you can order kits with the same items, in the same quantities as they used, directly from Minerva so you too can make that item.

If this were an individual, on her own blog or on a forum such as TSP I would be very cautious with my comments. But this is for use as an advert of sorts which I believe changes the game. There is a certain amount of dumbing down going on worldwide as far as technical skills relating to sewing. Bad practices are being presented as norms to be aspired to when garments such as this are being used to sell the shops wares with.

Now if I wanted to really talk bad about it, I would go to GOMI. That place will make your hair stand on end sometimes.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

wrenkins

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2018, 07:29:24 AM »
I didn't know what GOMI was so I read this article.
Why do people put their lives and those of their children and families on the internet? I do not understand it.
Just why?
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

UttaRetch

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2018, 07:57:23 AM »
What is wrong with pointing out that something is badly made on a sewing forum?  If that is the best that someone can do, why even bother?  Surely the aim is to sew better than ready to wear.

wrenkins

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2018, 08:06:10 AM »
I sewed my first garment in over thirty years about two weeks ago.
I pressed as I went, I hand finished the straight and virtually invisible hems and although I confess to being slap dash in my rush to get things done, I took my time and would be happy to post it on here for criticism, good and bad. I'm sure experienced sewists could find fault with it if they looked but if I'd sewn that dress I would be disappointed with the fit and would have, at the very least, pressed it before posting.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

UttaRetch

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2018, 08:11:24 AM »
Even the cheapest ready to wear has a better hem than that blogger's dress. 

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2018, 08:42:48 AM »
I think it's a totally wrong choice of fabric.  That looks to me like one of those thick-ish nylon-y unpressable jobbies.  No idea what you'd call it.  And all the faults you've all pointed out.  I do like the choice of BIG buttons though.

*wanders off to check out Minerva's bloggers*

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2018, 08:57:28 AM »
I just fairly randomly looked at one of those blogs and she'd used this pattern - but just look at the price  :o  :o
They're having a laugh...

BrendaP

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2018, 09:33:28 AM »
I think it's a totally wrong choice of fabric.  That looks to me like one of those thick-ish nylon-y unpressable jobbies.  No idea what you'd call it.  And all the faults you've all pointed out.

I've just had a look at the blog in question

She used Prestige polyester crepe fabric, so yes thickish and unpressable!

She hacked Simplicity 1196, which she knows "fits well on the bodice".  Well it might have fitted before she hacked at it, but the end result doesn't, but her husband says it's the nicest thing she has made!  Read it for yourself, you couldn't make it up.  :ninja:

https://www.minervacrafts.com/blog/all
about 1/3 of the way down the page.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ploshkin

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2018, 09:45:57 AM »
Oh heck - it would have been better not to show the construction in close up.
I wouldn't ever make unkind comments but I'm really cross on behalf of those who want to sew and aren't getting quality examples or tuition.  I'm glad I'm not on my own today trying to learn to sew.  If I was I hope I would have managed to find TSP.
Life's too short for ironing.

wrenkins

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2018, 10:16:36 AM »
When I was learning to sew the internet hadn't been invented and my mum (her words not mine) had hands like feet for doing fiddly things, coupled with the patience of a gnat!
I bought a book, which I still use, and I read it! That was the entire lot of my teaching/learning.
My buttonholes were neat and tidy (or re-done till they were), My hems were even and carefully hand-sewn and my darts were the same distance apart!
She's obviously delighted with it and good luck to her but it is not good...and it's a bit too short for that style of dress. The bottom shouldn't be shorter than the top ...same as your skirt shouldn't be wider than it is long.  :S Again just my opinion...as someone who wore, what were crudely known as, p***y pelmets!  :|

wrenkins

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2018, 10:51:12 AM »
I don't think it's one bit unbelievable. Your stuff is great and fashion forward...just what they're looking for.
Again...just my opinion, but someone like you would be better on it because of your eye for detail. If you are critical of your work then that is useful for others who can decide for themselves how particular they want to be. If shabby is good enough well that's fine but your more professional finish would show what can be achieved instead of aiming for 'not great'.