The Sewing Place

More vintage woes - Singer 401G

arrow

Re: More vintage woes - Singer 401G
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2018, 12:19:30 PM »
I posted a question and a link to your picture on the groups.io vintage singer group.The repair guy is probably onto it, but I am a bit curious to what tool or screw driver I need to sort out a case like that, and there are a few expert people there.

LeilaMay

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2018, 14:20:12 PM »
I posted a question and a link to your picture on the groups.io vintage singer group.The repair guy is probably onto it, but I am a bit curious to what tool or screw driver I need to sort out a case like that, and there are a few expert people there.

I know he got it open - it's on it's way back to me and I hope it works better now.
But I don't know if he adapted a screw driver or some other 'work around'
Look forward to hearing  :)

arrow

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2018, 20:39:04 PM »
I'm not getting anywhere with the post. I linked to your picture but it doesn't work. I tired to steal it (copy, store and upload to an image bin), but there's copyrigts or security in place. It's not very important, but it would be nice to have a way bout nuts and bolts like this.

LeilaMay

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2018, 13:29:43 PM »
Machine is now much quieter and purring nicely - with thanks to the afore-mentioned Graham st

https://www.sewlincs.co.uk/

High;y recommend this very nice man

Leila  :)
:vintage:

b15erk

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2018, 13:31:49 PM »
That's excellent news LM!  Great to hear a positive result!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SkoutSews

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2018, 15:49:42 PM »
Very pleased to hear that the 401g is back up and running. Long may it continue!

Roger

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2018, 21:33:25 PM »
That’s great! I’m so glad!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Tim

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2018, 09:18:48 AM »
I also have a 401G with a noisy motor that I'm about to start work on. My first problem is removing the motor. I've removed the plate under the motor and disconnected to wires. Unfortunately I can't pull the motor out. I'm wondering if it's seized in place or that I'm missing something like a hidden screw! Any advice would be very welcome. I will keep you posted regarding re-building the motor once I can start work on it. Thanks in advance for any help.

LeilaMay

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2018, 10:28:49 AM »
Tim the motor is a 'push fit' - but we have always found them very tight to try and remove.
Our preferred method is to VERY carefully tap them out - we use a piece of copper (22 mil. dia. plumbing) tubing and a mallet, so that you are gently tapping down onto the neck of the casing not on the drive shaft. But bang it too hard and you will crack the case  :(

To get it back we use sections of wood that will fit into the space and the bottom, and tap in several places with the same gentle, fingers crossed type of motion.

Having the whole machine in a nice warm room will also help a bit. The conservatory on sunny summer days was good for us.

Best of luck
Leila (and her helper Trevor)

arrow

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2018, 12:30:37 PM »
They recommend to give the motor axle a drop of slightly havier oil than sewing machine oil (on top of or under the worm gear near the hand wheel) It should be as pure and additive free as possible, since some oils turn sticky with time. They use various regular products though. On the 401 (400, 500 and some 600 numbers) there is a washer down there that needs lubrication and it makes noise on most machines that haven't been service for years. It's a bit tricky, it can easily be over done, so literally only one drop, and maybe a second after test sewing a bit. You notice when it seeps down to the spot. That's the easy fix, I guess a full service and disassembly will let you check carbon brushes and lubrication on both ends of the motor axle. This blogger is very good with the mechanical side of things, I used her videos when I fixed up my 201. She briefly mentions this issue at the end of the video. This reminds me I have to get a bottle of Triflow, besides the basic oil my favorite oil so far has turned to be Finish Line Ceramic, it has teflon in it too.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 20:00:10 PM by arrow »

Tim

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2018, 09:38:16 AM »
Thanks for the advice, it's like gold dust. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Auto

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2018, 11:33:29 AM »
The tool to open the motor is a spanner screwdriver
Motor no pab 8-12
Motor from a 431g will fit

Auto

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2018, 11:40:59 AM »
The tool for the motor is a spanner screwdriver cheap on ebay the motor is a pab 8-12
A 431g motor fits
As for the bearing measure your one and there are bearing companys on the net to match it
You could fit a 301a motor which is 110v and put on a voltage converter from 230 to 110

Barcoded

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2018, 21:53:13 PM »
I’ve been researching voltage converters ours is 240 down to the 110 but just got confused. I’m reckoning on 600watts but I think I need a 1000 w thing based on what I’ve read. Aren’t machines about 6amps?
I think I have joined the 201 club

ochanomizu

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2020, 10:50:00 AM »
Online research reveals that the motors in 401A American machines do up with standard screw headed screws (or bolt?).
401G contains a French made motor, with security nuts on long bolts, recessed into the case.
Here's the bolt and nut in question  ;)
Hi All,
sorry for writing in the very old topic, but I have a question to LeilaMay (and others disassemblying motor in Singer 401G). I've recently bought such a machine and after having received it realized, that the plastic part of the motor, visible from the top through the hole in the casing, is cracked. Do you happen to have pictures of the French motor from the other side? How is the upper rotor bearing immobilized on top of the motor, is that part plastic or metal? Unfortunately, in the internet there is a lot of motor's pictures of 401A, but the only one picture of the French motor I was able to find, was on this forum.
Best,
Anna