The Sewing Place

More vintage woes - Singer 401G

Wychall

Re: More vintage woes - Singer 401G
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2020, 12:51:44 PM »

@ochanomizu
The upper bearing is an interference fit on the shaft and retained in the plastic housing with a wire circlip. The plastic neck of the motor will be very tight in the machine as the plastic swells with age. I actually found a spark plug socket to be a good drift as it needs to be a tight fit in the hole so that you aren't hammering against the circlip clips. After you have removed it, file or sand the collar down so that it is a push fit by hand for replacement. You will see that i have applied silicon grease to mine to aid removal. Hence, remove from wall, strip to remove motor, photograph, replace motor, reassemble and replace on wall, total 5 minutes.
Shout up if I can help any further.

Present 'garage' contains 2 x 28K hand crank, 99K hand crank, 66K hand crank, 66K treadle, 201K treadle, 99K electric, 416, 6104, 401G, Futura 1000, Innovis NV1250 and a Jones CS treadle. New arrival Brother XE1 Stellaire
www.wychallembroidery.com

ochanomizu

Re: More vintage woes - Singer 401G
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2020, 15:39:05 PM »
Thanks a lot for your help. The pictures are great, I was hoping that you might just have some of them and I am especially grateful that you took the time to unmount the motor to take them.