The Sewing Place

More vintage woes - Singer 401G

LeilaMay

More vintage woes - Singer 401G
« on: June 20, 2018, 14:29:36 PM »
It seems that the motor is 'gone' on my Singer 401G. It spent many weeks on the table being cleaned, some wiring repair and putting back together - now I'm finally in a position to learn how to use it, the motor has given out.
It will go back to the electrical dept. (my OH) for a check, but it seems terminal at the moment.
So I have a beautiful - um - doorstop  :(

b15erk

Re: More vintage woes - Singer 401G
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 14:35:39 PM »
Oh noooooo!  That is an awful thing to happen LM!  That is always my worry with my old machines.  I'm on borrowed time with a couple of them atm.

I do hope she can be saved.... :'(

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

LeilaMay

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 17:06:21 PM »
So here's the diagnosis:

The motor is vibrating so badly that the connection plug (inside the machine body, next to the motor) drops off. If you bodge it back for testing purposes the machine has a dreadful loud noise.
Taking the motor out and investigating, it's the bottom motor bearing, inside the impossibly hard to open motor housing, which is making the noise and vibrating badly.

OH is not a motor expert, but says he thinks this is probably terminal for this motor, and replacements are not really an option for an old cheap ebay purchase  :( (Even if I knew how to find one)

If anyone has a miracle cure, please speak now . . .

:vintage:

Efemera

LeilaMay

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 17:16:50 PM »
I am not on FB - but thank you for the idea.
I do believe I have found his website and sent a message, thank you
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 17:25:30 PM by LeilaMay »

arrow

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 17:43:19 PM »
If the machine is in otherwise nice condition there is hope. This model is worth the time and money a repair takes. It might take a bit of time, anything from 2 days to 2 years, but replacement motor are known to turn up. Nothing should vibrate, carbon brushes can need repacement. I'm assuming the motor on the G model is similar to the A model, except for voltage they might be identical. Have you found this video? Don't forget to ask Helen Howes, her husband is very good with the electrical parts.

SkoutSews

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 17:50:21 PM »
That's sad news. When I was looking for my 401g, I asked the local SM repair guy in the hope that he might know of one locally. He told me that motors are no longer available for them, so I guess your best hope will be Helen Howes or someone else with a salvaged part. Hope you find something that works.

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 17:51:33 PM »
Have you asked Helen Howes if she's got a motor for the 401?

http://www.helenhowes-sewingmachines.co.uk/motors.html

Sometimes she has parts she hasn't put up on her site.

LeilaMay

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 19:17:54 PM »
Thank you all for these good ideas.

I cannot at the moment get the motor apart to do anything to it - as the man in the video is. It would require a special tool head which I don't have - it has a security type nut which it extra deep set onto the bolt, and our security bit won't reach.

I will contact Helen, thank you.

Roger

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 21:57:01 PM »
Im so sorry to hear this - theyre such lovely machines.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

arrow

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 22:22:37 PM »
In the new groups.io (yahoo moved groups) for vintage singers there are a picture guide on how to take this motor appart. The guide shows a regular screw driver, but I guess there vere slight variations. You should be able to identify the correct bit or screw driver, it's too basic to be much of a barrier that should stop you.

LeilaMay

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 09:40:01 AM »
Online research reveals that the motors in 401A American machines do up with standard screw headed screws (or bolt?).
401G contains a French made motor, with security nuts on long bolts, recessed into the case.
Here's the bolt and nut in question  ;)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 12:34:24 PM by LeilaMay »

arrow

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 14:43:31 PM »
LOL, I know what you mean, I reconise that one. Get a French made bike to fix up, there's always some finiky screw or way about it requiring special tools and lots of thinking :- )   I went to a store where they sell all kinds of screw sizes possible, and they had the right tool for the job. I couldn't find anything during a quick search, it needs a bit more effort.

LeilaMay

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 09:08:29 AM »
Ask Dave on FB...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/966147206856166/

Well the motor is now with the repair man - but he doesn't have a tool long enough to get it open either! :(
I contacted John at Helen Howes, he doesn't currently have a second hand one but will put me on his waiting list.
I'm trying to track a whispered-about, long lost new motor but haven't heard back from the shop yet.

I'm out of ideas otherwise, so please keep your fingers crossed . . . .

BrendaP

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 10:04:41 AM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.