The Sewing Place

What order to do things in?

Renegade Sewist

Re: What order to do things in?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 03:05:33 AM »
Rule #1 for new Darksiders: don't over think it. Rereading we did neglect to mention with the 2-2 1/4" strips that we were doing a double fold binding. To be fancy, it's technically a French binding. The theory is a double layer will hold up and last longer than a single layer. Personally I'm sure the first layer wears out the same it's just got a second layer to keep the stuffing from getting exposed. I find it an easy method, easier for me to get a consistent result and I am a very lazy quilter.  :*

Connect the strips how you like, 10 or more inches longer than the total of the 4 edges. We kept it simple for you: some people trim the batting and backing wider than the front, by 1/4" up to the 1/2" that @Deafoldbat  uses to fill in the binding. I use the 2.25" wide fabric strips, folded double to 1 1/8" then sewn on with a generous 1/4" seam that I might as well call 3/8". Once I've finished sewing the batting on the front I flip it to the back and sew by machine, not by hand. I typically use a wider decorative stitch, especially on kids quilts.

Everybody has their own preference for how prominent they want the binding to be. The thickness of the batting comes into play as well. Summer quilts I might use flannel, very thin, so might cut 2" or 2 1/8". Normally I use Warm & Natural, a thinner cotton batting and like the look and feel from 2 1/4" strips with that 3/8" seam. The occasional thicker polyester batting I'll use 2 1/4" strips as the entire quilt is thicker and takes up more space at the edge.

Hunted around and found an excellent short video on how to do a double fold or French binding. Lovely girl: she does it exactly how I do it. Less than 3 minutes. Note: there are some idiotic videos out there.  :fish:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

wrenkins

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2018, 07:16:29 AM »
I overthink things to the nth degree but I hadn't thought about this. Now I will!!!!  :[
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2018, 07:29:19 AM »
And will someone please tell me where a binding has to be a certain width ......

Your quilt is your creation ....

The binding can be 2" folded over (skeeeny)
or 5" folded over (Faaaat)
 it can be turned to the Front
or turned to the back,
It can be hand stitched to finish
or even (Shock! Horror!! Probe!!!)
be machine stitched down (makes em bombproof for kids!!)

it can even (apparently) be a single strip of fabric unfolded  :o
(Tho' in defence of the double folded method, then you have raw edges to turn under!!!)

The binding shown above is on the African Queens quilt (Coming to you at the FOQ this year) ...

It's nice and wide, folded in two, attached to the back and turned to the front to form a mini border ....

linky
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 07:33:27 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2018, 07:42:55 AM »
Aside... there is nothing about that quilt that I don't love!!! Even the clever detailing in the dresses makes me smile. The sleeves match!!!!!  :loveit:
Is that binding hand finished on the back Imi? The front stitching is veh veh effective.  <3
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2018, 07:47:13 AM »
No @wrenkins

It was attached to the back, by machine, turned to the front and machine stitched down with the blanket stitch on The Splurgess with my favourite YLI variegated thread ... Great Barrier Reef.

wrenkins

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2018, 07:58:25 AM »
Stunning!
....mooches off to start a stitch practice....

Vezelay

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2018, 11:02:59 AM »
More wisom  :) and a lovely quilt @Iminei . @Renegade Sewist that's a great binding clip, thanks. I'm going to keep it simple and finish it with a simple machine stitch just as she shows - more robust than my rusty hand sewing. And I might play with my gadget that does mitred corners on quilt binding (you probably all have one of these anyway)

Lowena

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2018, 11:56:14 AM »
Never seen one of those @Vezelay  -< Never needed anything for mitreing or binding  -<
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Vezelay

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2018, 13:08:31 PM »
Never seen one of those @Vezelay  -< Never needed anything for mitreing or binding  -<

Oh, I know it's not necessary but I'm a sucker for gadgets. I've just this minute realised that they sent me the the Mini version which is for smaller projects (up to 2" binding) instead of the full size one I ordered. I've messaged the company but won't hold my breath. It's bound to come in handy for something...

For any other gadgetmaniacs here is the link

and a video explaining how to use it
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 13:11:44 PM by Vezelay »

Iminei

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2018, 16:56:07 PM »
@Vezelay  ... that's not for mitering corners ... that's for finishing the binding ... ie joining the two ends .....

Have you been reading my tut ?????

Read Me !!!

Vezelay

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2018, 20:14:28 PM »
@Vezelay  ... that's not for mitering corners ... that's for finishing the binding ... ie joining the two ends .....

Have you been reading my tut ?????

Read Me !!!

Duh! (Slaps self on forehead) :| I did read your tut @Iminei but confess that with 46 posts, mostly not yours, I obviously failed to reach the bottom half of page 4. Your link is much clearer - thank you. I'll keep that somewhere safe and memorise it. You have the bigger version of the binding tool - and I have a €5 gesture (past return date) from Amazon for them sending me the wrong one.