The Sewing Place

What's th@ all about.

rubywishes

What's th@ all about.
« on: June 20, 2018, 21:03:05 PM »
I've not been around much lately....what's the little @ icon I'm seeing that everyone is using? Should I be using it?
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

fajita

Re: Have I missed something technical?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 21:10:25 PM »
@rubywishes , when used before a username, it alerts said user to the fact s/he is being mentioned.

Mr Twingo

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 21:59:54 PM »
Should I be using it?

Use it only if you want to. It's useful when addressing someone's comment without having to use the 'quote' option.

I think the convention originates from social media, but can't be sure as I don't engage with social media. There's no point if you have no friends. :[

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 22:03:55 PM »
@rubywishes  I use it when I want one specific person to read that particular post. As you begin to type the name it will pop up, highlighted and you click on it. The recipient will see a 1 under their profile button on the top bar and thus be alerted to the post.Hope that helps
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Greybird

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 22:38:47 PM »
I like it but I find that it doesn't always work.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 03:14:05 AM »
Use it only if you want to. It's useful when addressing someone's comment without having to use the 'quote' option.

I think the convention originates from social media, but can't be sure as I don't engage with social media. There's no point if you have no friends. :[

No friends? You've got us now @Mr Twingo !

But I understand as I don't do any typical social media, just a few forums. I admit though that some days seeing the little numbers behind my profile when I log in is like a little ray of sunshine. It tells me that someone was thinking of me. Today it was 4.....shucks.  :flower:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 07:13:26 AM »
I like it but I find that it doesn't always work.

@Greybird  that may be because you leave a space between the @ and the name like this @ greybird

Whilst typing you should see the user name come up in a blue box below, at that point you can simply hit the enter key (under backspace) to select the highlighted name or finish typing.

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 07:35:39 AM »
@Mr Twingo I don't 'do' social media because I want to keep my friends and ignore the people with whom I can't be bothered!  ;)
I know folk who have fallen out with people they haven't seen for ten years!  :o
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 07:46:29 AM »
@rubywishes: the @username was my idea - borrowed from other fora I use - and as mentioned, short circuits quoting and also summonds absentees back to the fold as, in theory, they should get an email alert. 0_0

rubywishes

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 08:20:38 AM »
Thankyou everyone  :)
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Greybird

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 09:28:48 AM »
Thank you @Iminei - I do get the blue box but clicking on it (carefully, on the letters of the name!) still doesn't always work. Sometimes it will work if I delete it and repeat the action, but not always!

crafter

What's th@ all about.
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 10:09:15 AM »
Why do I see @username in posts.  Does it have a use.  I am not a tweeter so don't understand.  Should it send me to twitter?

Sorry @crafter, I bcouldn't resist tinkering with the title .... :P
Imi
xxx
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:30:46 AM by Iminei »

Efemera

Re: What's @ all about.
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 10:11:25 AM »
No...it’s just a quick way of referring to that person.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 10:20:20 AM »
@crafter since I directed this to your attention if you look at the top of the page, to the right of "profile' , you'll see a 1. It's a quick way to go to posts concerning you or that someone wants you to see. Use is completely optional.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

wrenkins

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 10:21:11 AM »
It's all here:)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!