The Sewing Place

Totally Buttons

Ploshkin

Totally Buttons
« on: June 21, 2018, 12:14:11 PM »
I placed an order yesterday at about midday, my buttons have arrived this morning.
They have a huge range of buttons and the ones I have received are good quality.
Life's too short for ironing.

Nevis5

Re: Totally Buttons
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 12:48:09 PM »
I've always had really good service from them, too @Ploshkin .  The only problem is the postage which can be high for just a few buttons.  However this usually means I buy dozens to justify it  :devil:

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 17:19:53 PM »
Thing is, where I am £2.39 doesn't buy you much diesel.  The nearest shop I have to buy buttons is 20 miles away so a 40 mile round trip which is the best part of a gallon and that is only a wool shop though it has a reasonable selection.  There are also parking charges.  I would tend to wait until I am going there for some other reason so can end up with unfinished garments hanging around for ages.  Even then I may not find suitable buttons and have to go even further afield.
I did as you do and bought several sets of shirt buttons that I am likely to use.
Life's too short for ironing.

Nevis5

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 18:51:30 PM »
Oh I agree.  No button shops round here for miles.  And there's no way I'm driving miles to pay for parking at the nearest shopping mall for one or two buttons!  I like 'nice' buttons too, so I would probably drive miles, pay a fortune and not find a button I liked.   

I'm very, very bad at Internet shopping.  By which I mean that I spend a fortune online.  We're not particularly remote here but there's very little I want to buy locally and so I let the poor old postie earn his/her keep.

Surest1tch

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 19:29:22 PM »
I tend to get a lot of mine from ebay, the choice I can get round here is not very good and I like the vintage glass ones better than the modern plastic ones. Like you Ploshkin I have a long trip to get anywhere that sells them, Dutton's in York has the best choice I've come across in Yorkshire but it involves a 60 mile round trip and paying £8 for 2 hours parking.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 19:31:05 PM »
Duttons for Buttons do a kind of mail order:

http://www.duttonsforbuttons.co.uk/index.html

They have a vast range (I used to shop there when I lived in Yorkshire) and they obviously can't show them all, but they do a matching service and will send you samples - there's a downloadable order/specification form on this URL.

MacCulloch & Wallis also do mail order but I've never used the service myself.  Might be worth investigating, though:

https://www.macculloch-wallis.co.uk/c/824/buttons

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 20:24:18 PM »
For once we do actually have a good choice of buttons around here, with Calico Kate in Lampeter and Clare's Wools in Aberystwyth.  (Those places are quite a distance apart, but we are somewhere in the middle!)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.