The Sewing Place

Weight of balls of wool question

justpottering

Weight of balls of wool question
« on: June 22, 2018, 05:52:15 AM »
Hello everybody

I want to make a shawl for a friends expected grandchild one I first made more than 40 years ago and made lots of times since however when I dug out the very old pattern it just says 14 balls (3 ply)

I can’t remember if back in the day a ‘ball’ of wool was an ounce? Which would probably equate to 25g in today’s weight? Am I correct in my assumption nowhere in the pattern does it give the weight of the ‘ball’

As you will know I need to buy enough to complete it to guarantee same shade numbers

Thanks in advance for any knowledge for this old lady who can’t remember  :S
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

Ploshkin

Re: Weight of balls of wool question
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 06:55:29 AM »
I'm pretty sure they were ounce balls in the day - I can't recall anything else.
Trouble is, these days there are so many different fibres that there can be a huge difference in length of yarn for the same weight so it can be difficult with an old pattern to know how much you will need.  Balls of yarn these days have the length of yarn in the ball on the label which is very useful for comparison.
Life's too short for ironing.

justpottering

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 07:51:13 AM »
Thanks plosh I agree
I'd rather not buy too much because I doubt I will use the leftovers and it will become yet another thing to stuff under my cutting bench  :S
JP

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 08:16:55 AM »
If you can find a 'proper' wool shop you can leave it over and if you have a ball or two too many you needn't buy them. Here they'll hold your 13 (order more just in case) balls for a month.
I would say ounce too.
3ply ?!?! 8)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

maliw

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 08:27:32 AM »
3ply, that takes me back, I don't even remember seeing any for ages not that I've looked. The crocheted shawls that I've done have all been 4ply or double knitting. Good luck JP, I hope you find what you need.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 09:11:42 AM »
JP, you brave woman, 3ply!  Not knit that for years!  It was ounce balls, which if my memory serves, are slightly more than 25g - I think maybe 28.something.....

You could always knit some bootees, or a nice matinee coat with your leftovers!  ;)

Wondering could Ravelry help?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Holly Berry

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 16:54:32 PM »
I’m knitting some 2ply (Drops Lace) at the moment from Purple Sheep Yarns (online) it’s all Drops wool.

The lady there is extremely helpful and perhaps if you contacted her with the original pattern details she could advise on a modern equivalent.
Procrastination get behind me

Bogwoppit

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 23:21:22 PM »
I say 25 to 28g like someone said before.
I inherited lots of wool (prices on it are in old pence) and kept the colours I liked, weighing the balls to help with choosing patterns. All stored away as children took over my knitting time.
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

justpottering

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 05:45:49 AM »
Thanks everyone  :)

@wrenkins a proper wool shop! I haven’t seen one of them for years don’t know if there’s ever been one locally not in the 20 odd years I’ve been here our local sewing shop used to sell some wool (cheap and nasty ) but that’s closed now too  :'(

Whaaaaa I wanna proper wool shop
I used to love the one near us when I was growing up there was nothing the wool lady didn’t know about wool it was a real experience going in there

Ah those were the days sigh
JP

Pearl

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 05:53:11 AM »
We have a couple of proper wool shops here.  Not sure that they do lay-by, though.  Happy memories.

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 14:42:52 PM »
We have one in each of the three towns around us.   :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 21:46:45 PM »

Whaaaaa I wanna proper wool shop

Me too!
I still miss the one that closed about 30 odd years ago.  Betty Bunts in Gravesend

Not only wool but just about any bit of habby you could think of (except brass lacemaking pins which they tried to tell me weren't made :o). Behind the counter were dozens and dozens and dozens of little drawers crammed with all sorts of treasures.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ploshkin

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 17:22:35 PM »
Oh, a blast from the past Brenda, I used to frequent Betty Bunt's.
Life's too short for ironing.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 20:34:55 PM »
Weight seems to vary with gauge of yarn.  For instance, I used to use a now-defunct Rowan Aran-weight that was in 140m long, 100g hanks.  On the other hand, they also used to do 25g hanks of much finer gauge, although I can't remember the length.

Slightly off-topic, you've reminded me of a visit to the Cutty Sark - there's a deck with exhibits and displays including one describing how the ship used to bring back wool from the antipodes.  According to the display, one sheep's fleece would yield 3000 miles of yarn.  Do the maths.  If 140m weighs 100g, then 3000 miles, which is 4,828,032 metres, would yield 4,828,032/140 m or 34485 hanks or 3448.6 kg - that's some sheep!  I think somebody read 3000m and went imperial rather than metric!  I did tell them about four years ago but it was still there the last time we dropped by in autumn 2016.

CocoYorkie

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 17:37:23 PM »
Some baby wools are still available as 3ply here in South Africa.... not many though.

Some of the new 4ply yarn is almost as thin as the old 3ply - at least here in RSA it is - try using a fingering or lace weight yarn for the shawl.