The Sewing Place

Style 4824

b15erk

Style 4824
« on: March 20, 2017, 09:30:50 AM »
I'm making this blouse for the Stash Challenge, and although I've made it before (1986 pattern), it was a while ago!!

Well, if it could go wrong it did - again!  Buttonhole problems on Saturday, all fixed now and sleeves and cuffs done, but it took the best part of the day.

Sunday, I went back to work on the blouse body.  Nightmare!  Nothing fitted together.  So, in the spirit of 'I just don't care anymore', I finished it and kept my fingers firmly crossed.

It didn't work.  The collar was awful.  It stood away from the body and no chance of lying flat.  :'( :'(

I left it, and went back to look this morning.  One last chance, for the beast, and that is it. 

I decided to unpick the whole collar area, and there was indeed a problem (or three).  Firstly, the undercollar was far too big.  I laid the pattern on top, and it was huge, whether this was enthusiastic pressing, I don't know.  Re-cut around the pattern piece.  Secondly, when I then laid the pattern pieces on the front, and the facing, it turns out that I had matched up to the wrong dots, on the facing.  This resulted in a lot of extra fabric being forced to go where it didn't want to go.  ><  Finally, this resulted in the facing being too short, so I added 4".  I already knew the facing was too short because I hadn't enough fabric, but instead of correcting it at the time, I waited until I was doing the hem, which was a big mistake.

The moral of this tale is, to make sure your pattern pieces are cut and marked correctly, and that they fit together without undue force being needed. 

I used to think I was an experienced sewer, it looks as if I need to go back to basics.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SkoutSews

Re: Style 4824
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 09:58:31 AM »
I like that pattern and admire your patience with the collar problem.  As one who often has to unpick and then remind myself to think before cutting or stitching, this all seems familiar territory.  Hopefully things will go well from now on and you'll have a smart new blouse to show for your efforts!

Lilian

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 20:08:38 PM »
It happens to best of us.  I have to check and double check and check again, all the time.  I think when you get to a certain stage, having made lots of garments sometimes, me anyway, get complacent and make some silly mistakes.  I have a laid out a pattern today but will wait until tomorrow to pin and cut.  I need a few adjustments to every garment I make ('cos I'm a weird shape!) so want this to go smoothly first time. (fingers crossed).

Take your time and it will come right.  Good luck with the Sewalong  0_0
Willing but not always able :)

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 08:47:20 AM »
I spent the afternoon, re-sewing the shawl collar and front facings, and it looks, well, it looks lovely!  Very pleased with it.

So, I had enough time to set one sleeve in, and it went in beautifully....

Then I tried it on.

The sleeve is tight, and if one sleeve is tight, the other will be tight.  There's no adjustment because I overlocked it.

Just wanted to weep.

Anyone have a quick fix for a tight sleeve?

:'( :'( :'(
Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SkoutSews

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 09:37:02 AM »
That's miserable, I'd be screaming with frustration.  Do you have any sleeve allowance to play with at all?  Is the tight bit low enough in the sleeve to go for a shorter version?  If not, can you go for the sleeveless option?

Put it to one side for a week or two and come back to it.  I'm always surprised by how much things improve after a spell in the cupboard.