The Sewing Place

Is there an easy fix for this?

Pearl

Re: Is there an easy fix for this?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2018, 18:06:52 PM »
I think you are doing it right, but using the wrong terms!

Ah, yes, facing - that's what I undid.   :D

Thanks, @BrendaP , @Sandra and @UttaRetch for your help.  It's all back together now and a much better fit.

Nothing to add here other than DH would say, that's a nice view, why spoil it.  ;)
   >< ><  :D

@wrenkins , fancy meeting you here.   

wrenkins

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2018, 18:11:22 PM »
Can't bear to miss anything @Pearl0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Pearl

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2018, 18:14:10 PM »
It's taken me all afternoon to make this adjustment.  Mr P said, "It's a good job you're not making a dress."   ><
He'll be sorry when I have a whole new wardrobe of homemade clothes, @wrenkins .

wrenkins

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2018, 19:15:48 PM »
That's my goal. To make a dress.  :)
Just imagine.  :frock:  <3
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

BrendaP

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2018, 21:29:03 PM »
  It's all back together now and a much better fit.

There you go, it wasn't that scary was it!  Unpicking is the hardest bit about any alteration.

We'll soon have you making  :frock: :frock: :frock:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

mammafairy

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2018, 20:40:09 PM »
You are not a funny shape, you are a British shape! Many of us are a size larger in the hip than in the bust!

I just put a wee vest top on underneath, that saves a lot of hassle. Uniqlo used to do some light weight wicking tops which are perfect ...

Pearl

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2018, 09:25:47 AM »
Okay, so I'm at it again. 

I've bought a "peasant" skirt at the car boot this morning.  It is a size 18 but was too beautiful to remain unbought.   It has a zip at one side.  I need to take it in.  Please help! 

Lizzy777

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2018, 09:29:01 AM »
Any chance of a picture of the skirt please as that would help?

lizzy

Pearl

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2018, 09:38:07 AM »
I tried to find one online but, no luck.  Here you go.

Lizzy777

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2018, 09:53:43 AM »
Lovely fabric.

Thanks for the pic, yes I wanted to see a pic of the skirt you wanted to alter rather than a pic of one online.

Is it lined?  Does it have two side seams and a back seam or just two side seams as you said there was a size zip in the skirt? If it's not lined and has two side seams only (with zip) then I would proceed as follows-

On a normal size chart the difference between RTW from a size 16 to a size 18 appears to be 3 inches at the waist and 3 inches at the hips? Is that what you were thinking of reducing it by i.e. one and a half inches on each side, if there are just two side seams in the skirt?

If so, you will need to unpick both side seams and zip and reinsert the zip and side seams? It looks as if the waist has a facing to it? If so, you would need to unpick it only at the seams rather than take all the waist facing off.

size 16   33   85   43   108.5
size 18   36   92.5   46   116

« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 09:55:17 AM by Lizzy777 »

Pearl

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2018, 09:59:44 AM »
Thanks, @Lizzy777 .   :flower: :flower: :flower: 

It just has two side seams.

If so, you will need to unpick both side seams and zip and reinsert the zip and side seams? It looks as if the waist has a facing to it? If so, you would need to unpick it only at the seams rather than take all the waist facing off.

I was hoping to avoid unpicking and reinserting the zip.  Think this is a bit beyond me, but nothing ventured...

Lizzy777

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2018, 10:00:43 AM »
Oh I just realised that I am assuming you want to reduce by one dress size. i.e size 18 to size 16?

The best way to measure the amount you need to reduce it by, is putting the skirt on inside out and getting someone to pin at the seams to see how much it needs to go in by. If you haven't got anyone to hep then you can always tack the difference down the seams and try it on and see how it looks.

Lizzy777

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2018, 10:04:18 AM »
Thanks, @Lizzy777 .   :flower: :flower: :flower: 

It just has two side seams.

I was hoping to avoid unpicking and reinserting the zip.  Think this is a bit beyond me, but nothing ventured...

Yes, I realised you may have not wanted to reinsert the zip. I can't see a neater way of doing that though as it just wouldn't look right without unpicking and reinserting the zip. I am presuming it is an invisible zip? They're not that difficult to insert at all even if you haven't done one before?

We can all gently guide you through step by step on reinserting the zip. Its just fear of the unknown and once you have done it you will wonder why you were scarfed of it before. :)

n.b. When unpicking the zip I would unpick it whilst the zip is closed. Also, check the zip is working ok too before you reinsert it.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 10:07:41 AM by Lizzy777 »

BrendaP

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2018, 10:37:13 AM »
Is the front the same as the back?
Is the yoke part shaped?

If the answers are Yes and No you will probably be able to do all of the alteration on the right hand side and not need to touch the zip at all.

Another option would be to add a centre back seam.  That will move the side seams towards the back but if you are only going down one dress size, 2" that would mean a 1" tuck/seam down the back and the side seams will move just 1/2" towards the back.  Barely noticeable in wear.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ploshkin

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2018, 10:40:18 AM »
As it is not a fitted or shaped skirt could you get away with just taking out the excess on the side seam without the zip.  So long as the end result is symmetrical, which you could achieve by folding in half vertically and following the same line for the seam as the side with the zip, it should look ok.
Life's too short for ironing.