The Sewing Place

Singer 611g Buttonholer

b15erk

Singer 611g Buttonholer
« on: March 20, 2017, 12:37:45 PM »
I had cause to use this at the weekend, and was looking forward to it because it makes such pretty buttonholes.

But the Gremlins had visited, and I could not find the instruction book, and I had completely forgotten how to operate it!  It's not the standard buttonholer because the 611g is a slant shank, so I twisted knobs, raised and lowered the tension, changed the stitch  length, but I couldn't make a decent buttonhole.  After several hours torment, I found a manual online, and managed to make the necessary adjustments for a buttonhole.

Still, I was having trouble with the thread shredding and breaking.  Then I realised what it was.  It was the feed dog cover.  The one which had been supplied, was for the Touch and Sew, which is different to mine, so I've been using the cover for the standard buttonholer.  I seem to have positioned it too far forward, and the needle was catching slightly as it went in and out.  I moved it back a bit now, but thinking I should buy the correct feed dog cover, I went over to Helen Howes, but I couldn't find one.

Anyone got this machine, and know the part number of the feed dog cover please?  Or know where I might get one?

Got my fingers crossed :)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Roger

Re: Singer 611g Buttonholer
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 15:53:45 PM »
Hi Jessie,

Can't you just drop the feed dogs and ignore the cover?

That's usually what I do with vintage buttonholers, mostly because the covers chip the paint/japanning.

Hope you can get it working I love my buttonholers.

R.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 16:48:50 PM »
I don't think the feed dogs drop Roger, I can't find anything in the manual.  That would be the best solution I agree.

Going to make about 6 buttonholes tonight, wish me luck!!  :)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

arrow

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 18:54:33 PM »
There were two TSF members with this model, if they have found this place, they might have the correct part number. Several of the models in the 400 to 600 numbers didn't really lower the feed dogs, but the needle plate sort of lifted to a position above them. Either way, you should be able to set stitch length to zero and make do with out a cover until you find one. I had a bit of problem with my buttonholers until I inserted a large size needle, but it was on a basic low shank machine.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 18:57:15 PM by arrow »