The Sewing Place

To make a toile

Pearl

To make a toile
« on: June 24, 2018, 18:10:33 PM »
What would you recommend to make a toile?  I thought I had an old cotton sheet but it appears not, so I will have to buy something.  Calico? A sheet or duvet cover from the charity shop?

TIA

Efemera

Re: To make a toile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 18:13:47 PM »
Either of those would do... though a washed soft sheet would be good for a dress or blouse, calico is stiff so would be good for a more structured toile.

Pearl

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 18:15:11 PM »
Thanks, @Efemera .   :flower:

Gemma

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 18:50:55 PM »
Generally you want something similar to the final fabric in weight and stiffness (assuming you have a final fabric in mind).  I often use curtain lining as its cheaper than Calico.

Kwaaked

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 21:28:13 PM »
My toile fabrics include broadcloth, polyester china silk and lightweight polyester woven in addition to calico (UK term, not the American).  I also have some Disney knits, wool knit and poly double knit that I got for free in over 100 yards that I use for other things.  I do also use a poly satin when making formal gowns, but I am out of it.

This is a good way to use fabrics bought you no longer want, don't like the quality of, etc.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 21:35:34 PM »
Fabric for a toile can be almost anything, with the proviso that it is similar weight and handle to the intended finished item.  If you are planning to make something with a stretch fabric then the toile fabric has to have a similiar amount of stretch.

It doesn't matter what colour, or even have to be all the same, though lighter rather than darker is preferable if you want to be able to write over it with a felt pen.

If you are looking to make a summer dress then craft weight cotton - patchwork stuff - is easy to sew with and an old sheet or duvet cover would be very suitable for the toile
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.