The Sewing Place

Circle skirt hem 'cheat' for chiffon

Marniesews

Circle skirt hem 'cheat' for chiffon
« on: March 20, 2017, 13:05:22 PM »
I have my issues with chiffon  :devil: and a few battles with big ballroom skirts in the past too so this post on facebook caught my attention.

Has anyone ever tried this method before? I wonder how well it would cut realistically using that method but I suppose you can mark it then cut it. Otherwise, it would have to be serrated scissors I'd have thought to grip the fabric and stop it just sliding out from the scissor blades as they closed. If you hold it down it will distort it - bad enough on a table!

Do I sound chiffon phobic? :| I am.  :'(

Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Catllar

Re: Circle skirt hem 'cheat' for chiffon
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 22:06:47 PM »
Phew,no- not come across that one before! Can't see what it achieves really that just hanging the beast for a couple of days won't achieve - and without the hot water batch and dripping everywhere!
Are you going to try it?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Marniesews

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 22:46:06 PM »
Are you going to try it?

Not filled with confidence and don't have anything currently on the cards with chiffon - mind you, I probably never would have by choice.  :angry:  I do need to tackle this phobia sometime but I keep finding excuses to avoid it.  >:)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

sewing in oz

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 21:20:02 PM »
I can actually see a bit of sense in the idea.  In theory, the hot water would soften the actual fibre a little, and help the weight of the water to pull the bias down while the fibre is softened, which should result in a skirt which won't continue to drop after it's sent out.  Not sure the benefit would be worth the mess though?

CarolC

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 12:28:03 PM »
Hello! It sounds like more faff than it's worth, but it might work - as Sewing in Oz says, the hot water might accelerate any residual stretching and dropping. And synthetics dry fast, so it wouldn't take too long. I think I'd make up the dress first, though and then dip it, so as to have less retrimming later. And remember, at speed, no one will be able to see any little imperfections in the hemline! ;)

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 13:18:47 PM »
And remember, at speed, no one will be able to see any little imperfections in the hemline! ;)

If only it were the little imperfections that worried me - it's the drunken 'all over the place' ones that frustrate me!  >:)

DementedFairy

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 13:36:14 PM »
It would probably work well enough for very thin folk with no belly or bum or hips, so that the hem really WOULD be level with the horizontal waist line.  Not so good for real 3-D people! 
I suppose it would be OK for a rush job where it didn't matter about accuracy or neatness...most of us are wiider than a hanger aren't we?  lol
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 15:38:41 PM »
Ahem madam, speak for yourself.  I myself am but a slip of a girl.  0_0

DementedFairy

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 19:59:42 PM »
Ahem madam, speak for yourself.  I myself am but a slip of a girl.  0_0
Bearing in mind the many, many times you have bewailed your 'enormous butt' etc, we all know how much junk is in your trunk missie!
C'est moi!